Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
i love lamp
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this....is no bueno. :lol

long story short, after getting off the highway and sitting at a light, i thought i heard a V-twin somewhere. but oh no, it was MY bike :scared. then all of a sudden, CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK.

after towing it home and using the secret of the forum(aka the search button) i think i have come to the conclusion that i spun a rod bearing. won't be sure till i drop the engine though. and since i will have the engine out, i'm thinking a few upgrades might be in order. so far i'm thinking some new JE pistons, port and polish, thinner head gasket, and maybe some adjustable cam sprockets. i'm pretty sure i have ruled out new cams and connecting rods after cruising some of the older threads.

any other cost effective mod suggestions i could do while the engine is out would be appreciated

·
Registered
149 Posts
From the looks of your profile, I would insure it well and stick it outside.:crash

Seriously though, sorry to hear you have this problem. Motor work can give much power so use to your benefit.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
From the looks of your profile, I would insure it well and stick it outside.:crash

Seriously though, sorry to hear you have this problem. Motor work can give much power so use to your benefit.

lmao.....

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
:lol

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
no need for sprockets.. stock ones are adjustable... they have slotted holes 2 holes from stock location.. since yamaha doesnt use sprockets for timing.. like other models, they use dots in camshafts.. u can just turn them 1/4 turn and bolt them up. pistons good idea, split stock headgasket and copper coat it... same thing as thinner gaskets that cost $100 plus. cost of this... nothing but copper coat. done 4 or 5 like this.. never had problem. good luck with fixing it.

·
RUSH HOUR RIDERS
2,374 Posts

That's actually a pretty good idea!!!

·
i love lamp
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

:lol i'd rather not have to deal with the insurance company again.:no

no need for sprockets.. stock ones are adjustable... they have slotted holes 2 holes from stock location.. since yamaha doesnt use sprockets for timing.. like other models, they use dots in camshafts.. u can just turn them 1/4 turn and bolt them up. pistons good idea, split stock headgasket and copper coat it... same thing as thinner gaskets that cost $100 plus. cost of this... nothing but copper coat. done 4 or 5 like this.. never had problem. good luck with fixing it.
thanks for the info. :thumbup so i'm guessing there really isn't anything else to do with out going super crazy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.