Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Be Good, or good at it!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I am even a bigger Yates fan than I was before Daytona. I feel the guy always rides to win no matter what and he has no problems showing his emotions. Granted he let them get the better of him on Saturday which has now pretty much ruined his entire season. As far as the crash, well you beleive whatever it is you want to beleive as far as who's fault it was. Personally I feel it was not Yates and that he was riding as he always does..as fast as he possibly can. He had a split second to make a decision as to how to pass Fania and the second he decided, he went for it and Fania didnt hold his line but by the time Yates could have reacted to his change in line it was already too late. For all that say he is too aggressive, were you all bitching and moaning during the 600 race that happened earlier in the day. It was the most exciting and skilled riding I had seen in 2 years. Yates OWNED the infield and the only reasion he lost the race is because he was so down on HP once they hit the high banks. If you are complaining that he rides too aggressively you should have not enjoyed the 600 race at all. The crash in the 200 was a direct result of him giving it his all, same with the crash last year that half the motorcycle community is bringing up now when he crashed in Laguna. I wouldnt want to see racing become a sport where everyone always makes the safe non aggressive line. It makes for very boring racing. For those that watched GP racing right after schwantz retired, and Doohan won all his titles (before Rossi) all you saw was "safe" racing and it was like watching paint dry!!

I am sure that Yates has done nothing but hurt his fan base due to his momentary loss of control, but I for one will still be rooting for him. I can definitely empathise with loosing your head and doing something you regret without thinking about it before hand. The heat of the moment is sometimes a terrible thing. I am sure he regrets his actions after the crash but I also feel that Fania holds some of the responsibilty for inciting some of Yates actions with the taunting and hand gestures.

·
WHERE'D WHO GO?
1,273 Posts
I completely dissagree with everything you just said. part of beeing a skilled rider has to be beeing inteligent enough not to put yourself into situations like that. Whether it was his fault or not, he could have waited to get through the corner to try and pass. And then his temper tantrum left me smiling and thinking what a spoiled little [email protected] I empathize with him for falling, but the fact of the matter is that he got his bike fixed/ replaced as soon as it happened. The other guy is out of his only track bike. He even tried to fight like a [email protected] No, I am not a fan of his to say the least.

BTW, would it have been a "more entertaining" race if someone would have died because of "agressive riding?"

·
Be Good, or good at it!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bwalker said:
Whether it was his fault or not, he could have waited to get through the corner to try and pass.

And then the next lapper he came up on, he could wait on him too, and the next lapper, and the next lapper. C'mon dude, thats exactly what I am talking about. The guy is racing to win...he has literally a split second to decide how to pass a guy, especially one that he is closing on with a speed differential of 30 - 40 mph, and now he shouldwait for every single one to pass on the straights instead of the turn and still make time on the leader...gimme a break.

Here is a solution...lets put turn signals on the backs of all the bikes and we will have the slow guys signal what side the fast guys should pass them on. That way we will know who is in the wrong when there is a get together.

This is why I want the AMA to enforce a minimum race speed and get the slow pokes the hell off the track. If the guy had been moving and Yates wasnt closing on him like he was standing still this accident wouldnt have happened...they could have reacted...but when the closure rate is so quick neither guy has anytime to react. If the slow guy was moving faster then there wouldnt be so many reckless passes because you wouldn't loose so much time to the leader when you get stuck behind the bastard in a turn.

·
WHERE'D WHO GO?
1,273 Posts
amazingly enough, the leader also passed the exact same guy without a collision. I'm noticing a trend here. As a matter of fact, a fair ammount of the riders got lapped, without collisions.

Hmmmm, I know I am missing something. Oh, thats right, they passed safely. I understand what you are saying, I am just saying he had a right to be on the track. He qualified.

·
Banned
1,285 Posts
never like the joker. saw him for the first time at last years race....not a people person at all.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
I was pretty much neutral with regard to Yates prior to this but he's off my Christmas list for good, beside the best he could of hoped for was 4th as his tires were shagged big time, but then he didn't make it did he.:sleep

BD

·
Forum Moderator
32,431 Posts
The dude has no class in my book!!!! You just dont do that. If you cant control your emotions get out of the sport.

·
Administrator
31,054 Posts
All this makes me say go Yamaha...! Suzuki has alot of issues to deal with, mladin is constantly popping off at the mouth and blaming everyone INCLUDING the company that pays him and now Yates has this incident. Granted he should've controlled it better the lapper should have had enough presence to know he was getting waxed and moved out of the way.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong here, but did not someone named Eric Bostrom lap all but like 4 guys at the pike's peak race last year?
Should we have pulled all those guys off the track as well?

Maybe instead, Mr Yates, (who I've met and talked to many times when living in Daytona) should just accept his punishment as what it is. Punishment for acting in an unprofessional manner after the accident.
I honestly believe, that if he had not acted the way he did AFTER the crash, with regard to the actual contact with Fania, then many people would actually be empathizing with him. However, because of his action AFTER the crash, he has caused many people to change their view of him as a rider. Can he change this again? Yes. But it's always harder to chnage from negative to good, than it was to go from good to negative.

Personally, i've lost a lot of respect for him. Does that matter to him? Probably not, but it may if enough people have who now refuse to support his brand of motorcycle or sponsors.
If that's the case, it may matter to him at the end of the year.

Again, these are my opinions, and as such, you can argue all you want about them, but YOU will not change them,

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself to be a "fair weather" fan, so I will say yes, I still like Yates, and I admire his skills on the track.
This is just an unfortunate incident that goes with racing. In all competitive sports, emotions are at an elevated level! Motorcycle racing is no exception. I don't agree with Yates' actions, but I can understand his frustration.
There are fights in pro football, hockey, baseball, basketball, etc. If we, the fans, changed our views of a player simply because the person got into a little scuffle.......we wouldn't be considerd 'fans'

just my .02

BTW, I also believe that the qualifying times need to be adjusted. If you are a pro, and you get lapped, you shouldn't be on the same track as the guys lapping you. I can almost guarantee that I'd get lapped by an olympic track star. How would I look racing against them?

·
Palms 144:1
224 Posts
i won't say how yates acted is justified... but when mladin passed the guy.. he didn't heed the waving blue flags..and tried to pick up his pace instead of moving out of the way like he is supposed to do when the leaders are approaching.... and he ran too fast in a corner and ran into yates... i though yates was being somewhat polite because he didn't dive under the guy ... and the guy ran wide.. privateers need to heed to the rules also ... he could have just ruined yates season..

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
R1Budha said:
Correct me if i'm wrong here, but did not someone named Eric Bostrom lap all but like 4 guys at the pike's peak race last year?
Should we have pulled all those guys off the track as well?

Maybe instead, Mr Yates, (who I've met and talked to many times when living in Daytona) should just accept his punishment as what it is. Punishment for acting in an unprofessional manner after the accident.
I honestly believe, that if he had not acted the way he did AFTER the crash, with regard to the actual contact with Fania, then many people would actually be empathizing with him. However, because of his action AFTER the crash, he has caused many people to change their view of him as a rider. Can he change this again? Yes. But it's always harder to chnage from negative to good, than it was to go from good to negative.

Personally, i've lost a lot of respect for him. Does that matter to him? Probably not, but it may if enough people have who now refuse to support his brand of motorcycle or sponsors.
If that's the case, it may matter to him at the end of the year.

Again, these are my opinions, and as such, you can argue all you want about them, but YOU will not change them,
WTF! I agree with R1 Budha. I may have to reconsider my opinion :finger :lol

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
R1fanatic

AMA reduced the qualifying from 112% to 110% of the pole winners time and therefore reduced the Daytona field significantly as i've see as many as 70+riders in years past....not this year because of the change.

I must say that we as fans surely don't want to see 10-12 bikes on an AMA sbk grid do we, i don't thats for sure. The privateers make the field what they are...filled. Other major series (BSB,Japan series, Australian SBK series etc) are very much the same in terms of the rider pace variation between the front runners and the rest.

BD

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Eyespy said:
WTF! I agree with R1 Budha. I may have to reconsider my opinion :finger :lol
Come to the Light..........Come to the light.............

:finger

1 - 20 of 41 Posts