Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning for a 7 day trip in late spring. Most likely camping so I need lots of lugguage. Would life to do a saddlebag and tail bag combo. I'd like to get the Ogio saddlebags but based on the tapered tail of my 2011 R1 I don't see how any soft saddlebag would NOT rest/lay on the pipes since I don't have the oem heat shields anymore. Even though they are carbon fiber and even if it doesn't burn, I don't see how they wouldn't rub/scratch/polish the pipe.

Anyone have any soft saddle bags specifically on an '09+ model. Pics from behind would be helpful.

I'm not interested in any rack system. If I go that route I'll go for the SW-MOTECH blaze saddlebags. But at 3x the price I'm not sure is worth it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I miss my R1
2,978 Posts
I had a cheap set of soft saddlebags on my 07 R1 w/ aftermarket stainless slipons and never had any problems with them melting. However, I did have problems with them scuffing the stainless.

My advice would be to go tank/tailbag and not saddlebags on any R1 that has an undertail exhaust, just to protect your investment.

*edit* the saddlebag and straps also rashed the finish on my tail plastics as well :/

·
Pays for everything. EVERTHING
1,943 Posts

·
Pays for everything. EVERTHING
1,943 Posts
It is a great thread! I've probably read it 4 or 5 times and when I've been planning my trip I keep going back and re-reading it again and again!
i'll make a deal with you, if you come through the st. louis area in MO when you're doin your trip you can crash at my place and keep your bike in the garage next to mine, spend a sunday out here and we can take a ride in the twistys out by me... good times and the guys i ride with are all great people.

Open invite to you; and hell anyone on this board who wants to make a trip.

EDIT: my gal told me to add; as long as you arent a creeper. lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a cheap set of soft saddlebags on my 07 R1 w/ aftermarket stainless slipons and never had any problems with them melting. However, I did have problems with them scuffing the stainless.

My advice would be to go tank/tailbag and not saddlebags on any R1 that has an undertail exhaust, just to protect your investment.

*edit* the saddlebag and straps also rashed the finish on my tail plastics as well :/
That's what I was afraid of, the scuffing. I figure I can put on a 3M film to protect the tail but I don't see how you'd protect the exhaust.

Thanks for the pic.

That other thread is indeed full of awesomeness. But his set up had the oem pipe and heat shield. If I had that then I'd put a film or tape on that.

I guess I'll check out the blaze saddlebags from sw-motech.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
iamzombie
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing