Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Vee Twin Superbike
119 Posts
Nice Application.Although i have no experience with this kind of software and not much knowledge around tuning process i find it very useful.I'm searching for quite a while for a good but cheap wideband data logging system (i will only use it for myself,so i dont need any expensive equipment).I want to tune my bike for the mods i do (i already have a pc3).I found the wego 3.From what i understand this unit has no build in memory to save the data.What unit do i need to save all data logs that connect to the wego and is portable (as i will do the data logging on road)?

I'm sorry if i went off topic.Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nice Application.Although i have no experience with this kind of software and not much knowledge around tuning process i find it very useful.I'm searching for quite a while for a good but cheap wideband data logging system (i will only use it for myself,so i dont need any expensive equipment).I want to tune my bike for the mods i do (i already have a pc3).I found the wego 3.From what i understand this unit has no build in memory to save the data.What unit do i need to save all data logs that connect to the wego and is portable (as i will do the data logging on road)?

I'm sorry if i went off topic.Thanks
I went to Wego website and they have written that Wego III stores 2 hours of AFR, RPM and Throttle data.

Quote from their website:
"Versatile tuning aid for all carbureted and fuel injected engines displays air/fuel ratio (AFR) and logs over 2 hours data including AFR, engine RPM, and a spare 0-5V analog input for sensors such as throttle position or manifold pressure"

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just read that myself.Didn't notice this earlier.Thanks.Any other cheap alternatives?Thanks
You also have option like:
Wideband Commander 2 with LCD-200. The LCD-200 have the option of storing the data on a memorycard. And you can use the software I uploaded to analyze the logfiles from LCD-200.

I believe that you can get a better price than retail price from Dynotjet. I bought my config from kyleusa.com, send a maile to dan(at)kyleusa.com and ask for a good price :)

If you don't need the storage on memorycard you can still use Wideband Command 2 with a gauge.

Take a look at the link for different options: http://www.dynojetwb2.com/wb2_complete_kits.aspx

·
Normal Guy Here!
62 Posts
On the track it’s important for me how the bike behaves – not only HP. By adjusting fueling you do change the behavior of the engine. In order to do that I needed AFR data. I could then analyze the data and make adjustments. If I can make the bike smoother into and out of corners I get much faster laptimes than just adjusting for top-end HP. The most important area for me to adjust for corner speed and smoothness is 1-25% throttle position, a area that we may not give so much attention on the street.
I feel like I need to chime in here to a fellow R1 rider. Adjusting the A/F values for a smoother throttle isn't ideal IMO. Do a forum search for Flash Tune ECU flashing interface. I noticed the same on/off throttle abruptness at the track. This software allows the unbelievable to happen. You can adjust your 1-25% throttle inputs by adjust the YCCT (yamaha chip controlled throttle) map. If you want 1% wrist to = 1/2% throttle, you can! It is amazing. Or you can make a progressive throttle map. Imagine 50% wrist gives you 70% throttle! That is on one side of the equation. The other is engine braking. This program has a slider function to manage the off throttle engine braking-in 3 parameters! The first is fuel/igniton on decel, the second is decel ETV (electronic throttle valve). It cured my on/off throttle R1 blues into an amazing riding machine. Let your auto tune do its thing and tune your air/fuel properly for good clean combusiton. No need for you to foul your plugs by getting too rich or doing damage to your engine by running too lean-all for searching for a less punchy feel with the throttle. You just need to adjust the parameters that affect the throttle input and the bike's decel functions.
Also, I'm pretty sure you can adjust this with the YEC ECU-I almost went that route, but you kinda have to be a tuning freak to figure it out 100%. Flash Tune has pre-determined sliders that adjust the settings properly so that you don't blow up your engine by adjusting timing incorrectly or something else crazy. Hit me up if you are following my logic and I can help you out further.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I feel like I need to chime in here to a fellow R1 rider. Adjusting the A/F values for a smoother throttle isn't ideal IMO. Do a forum search for Flash Tune ECU flashing interface. I noticed the same on/off throttle abruptness at the track. This software allows the unbelievable to happen. You can adjust your 1-25% throttle inputs by adjust the YCCT (yamaha chip controlled throttle) map. If you want 1% wrist to = 1/2% throttle, you can! It is amazing. Or you can make a progressive throttle map. Imagine 50% wrist gives you 70% throttle! That is on one side of the equation. The other is engine braking. This program has a slider function to manage the off throttle engine braking-in 3 parameters! The first is fuel/igniton on decel, the second is decel ETV (electronic throttle valve). It cured my on/off throttle R1 blues into an amazing riding machine. Let your auto tune do its thing and tune your air/fuel properly for good clean combusiton. No need for you to foul your plugs by getting too rich or doing damage to your engine by running too lean-all for searching for a less punchy feel with the throttle. You just need to adjust the parameters that affect the throttle input and the bike's decel functions.
Also, I'm pretty sure you can adjust this with the YEC ECU-I almost went that route, but you kinda have to be a tuning freak to figure it out 100%. Flash Tune has pre-determined sliders that adjust the settings properly so that you don't blow up your engine by adjusting timing incorrectly or something else crazy. Hit me up if you are following my logic and I can help you out further.
Hi ravendan,

I started with Jett Tuning back in 2010, that flash gave a «new bike». I liked the Jett Tuning flash, but missed the flexibility of adjusting myself. I looked into FlashTune (FT), but I think that was before they released their interface, at that time I had to send my ECU to them.

So last year I made a decision and went to flash my ECU with YEC-flash.

I fully understand what you mean with throttle control in FT software, and it looks great (as far as I can see from pictures they have postet).

However one of the good things with YEC-Software is fast adjustment. I can get off track, into pitbox, plug the cable and adjustment are made in seconds and out to the track again. To my understanding, FT still have a slightly cumbersome update process.

I will try to get hold on an extra ECU and get the FT interface. I want to try FT software and also make a comparison on a dyno.

The FT software looks great, and the people behind FT are also doing a great job.

So my next project is to get an extra ECU for my R1 09:)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
hey Sharan, why don't you post the source code too so that I can convert it to Linux as I do not have Windows at home?
:jump
Damn, I have to start clean up my code before I ship it to you.:ncont:
Just a warning, this is my first coding in 15 years...

I have made the software in Visual Studio 2010, is it sufficient if I ZIP the complete VS 2010 project?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Damn, I have to start clean up my code before I ship it to you.:ncont:
Just a warning, this is my first coding in 15 years...

I have made the software in Visual Studio 2010, is it sufficient if I ZIP the complete VS 2010 project?
yeah, just zip everything up... I'll dig up my old machine and old Visual Studio from the loft and start from there... :) What language did you use by the way?

Dont worry about cleaning up, if thereis something I don't understand I can always ask you (?)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
yeah, just zip everything up... I'll dig up my old machine and old Visual Studio from the loft and start from there... :) What language did you use by the way?

Dont worry about cleaning up, if thereis something I don't understand I can always ask you (?)
Attached is the source code and and also the latest version of the software (some minor bugfixes)

It's coded in VB.
Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Normal Guy Here!
62 Posts
Hi ravendan,

I started with Jett Tuning back in 2010, that flash gave a «new bike». I liked the Jett Tuning flash, but missed the flexibility of adjusting myself. I looked into FlashTune (FT), but I think that was before they released their interface, at that time I had to send my ECU to them.

So last year I made a decision and went to flash my ECU with YEC-flash.

I fully understand what you mean with throttle control in FT software, and it looks great (as far as I can see from pictures they have postet).

However one of the good things with YEC-Software is fast adjustment. I can get off track, into pitbox, plug the cable and adjustment are made in seconds and out to the track again. To my understanding, FT still have a slightly cumbersome update process.

I will try to get hold on an extra ECU and get the FT interface. I want to try FT software and also make a comparison on a dyno.

The FT software looks great, and the people behind FT are also doing a great job.

So my next project is to get an extra ECU for my R1 09:)
Yes, I think the best idea is the get an extra ECU if you can find one. I really like the YEC ECU flash. Honestly, you can do the same adjustments in the YEC software, if you know what you are doing. FT just makes it easier with the sliders. The slider function does all of the background work if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I actually get into the YCCT maps and modify them directly for my needs...but I don't suggest that for most riders because generally riders aren't tuners-ya know!
And yes again, reflashing with FT is a completely different process. You have to remove your seat, remove the plugs from your ECU, plug in the interface, flash in the new settings (takes 4 min), then put it all back together. But honestly, you only need about 3-5 flashes to find a great setting, and you can do it in your garage and local roads. Once you find the settings, just learn to ride with them vs trying new settings all of the time-unless they are too severe one way or the other. Everytime you change the settings, you change how the bike will respond coming into corners, and you may spend more time learning the changes vs getting faster at the track!
Good luck!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes, I think the best idea is the get an extra ECU if you can find one. I really like the YEC ECU flash. Honestly, you can do the same adjustments in the YEC software, if you know what you are doing. FT just makes it easier with the sliders. The slider function does all of the background work if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I actually get into the YCCT maps and modify them directly for my needs...but I don't suggest that for most riders because generally riders aren't tuners-ya know!
And yes again, reflashing with FT is a completely different process. You have to remove your seat, remove the plugs from your ECU, plug in the interface, flash in the new settings (takes 4 min), then put it all back together. But honestly, you only need about 3-5 flashes to find a great setting, and you can do it in your garage and local roads. Once you find the settings, just learn to ride with them vs trying new settings all of the time-unless they are too severe one way or the other. Everytime you change the settings, you change how the bike will respond coming into corners, and you may spend more time learning the changes vs getting faster at the track!
Good luck!
Hi,

Please see the PM I sent you:)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Recently I have got emails from people using the AFR Analyzer. I have been using it on a regular basis, and since the first version I have added some more features.

Attached is the latest version for those who are using the software.

Enjoy. :)

Attachments

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
11,049 Posts
:corn to read through this, get the software running and bump an impressive effort by a forum member.:bow

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
:corn to read through this, get the software running and bump an impressive effort by a forum member.:bow
For what it's worth I made a program that will also generate maps over any size based on logged data (RPM, TPS and AFR). Mine also incorporates statistical analysis to help increase the accuracy of the generated maps. The only downside is mine has no graphical user interface. But it gets the job done great.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have recently purchased AEM Electronics 4 channel UEGO/Lambda controller.
With this controller I can log AFR values for each individual cylinder, this winter I will add individual cylinder support in the software.

This way I can analyze data from each individual cylinder and not only one lambda sensor mid/end of exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
For what it's worth I made a program that will also generate maps over any size based on logged data (RPM, TPS and AFR). Mine also incorporates statistical analysis to help increase the accuracy of the generated maps. The only downside is mine has no graphical user interface. But it gets the job done great.
Anything you can share on this thread?
I think it would be useful for forum members in order to work with AFR data :)

Maybe I could add some of your features in my software?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well, aside from the statistical analysis, my program does the same thing your's does as far as building fuel maps. It also do it based on what gear you are in and the fuel maps can have any number of rows and columns. I think one really important aspect is the way data is loaded up into each cell of the data table. It uses a weighted average when tps/rpm values fall between cells.

For the statistical analysis my program uses the 1.5iqr rule to eliminate obvious outliers and it also outputs a map of sample numbers, outliers eliminated and standard deviations.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

21 - 40 of 117 Posts