Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I need a bike :(
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He said he was on a "stripped down and modified Yamaha YZF 750" and that he hit a wall going 180 (not possible on a YZF 750, correct?) miles an hour. He is paralyzed from the neck down...

:bs :bs :bs :bs :bs ?

·
I Jigga high, I Jigga Lo
1,708 Posts
What kinda school and what grade do you attend?? What are they trying to teach ya'll? Probably not a bad idea to have such a speaker. I did crazy stupid shit when I was young. Sounds like he is oversensationizing it though-good call.

·
w00t
2,524 Posts
"stripped down and modified "
could go 180, why not?.
you think this puplic speaker, your school payed for is a liar..
did it at least make you think?
i used to love hearing these type of speakers.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
:no

I doubt it, and of course they wouldn't lie. He's already paralyzed, what else ya gonna do to him to make him feel bad? Gag Him?

Reall, i'm sure he was cruising along, but not 180, prob more like 120, and i'm sure he regrets it, but if he said 120 or similar, how many kids would listen, after all, many of them have prob gone 100 in someones car so whats 120.
Now 180, thats a whole nother dimension of speed.
I used to hate those people that would come in, we had one that was named Mark Sharambrock, nad all he did was talk about how High School was the best time of your life? :confused:
If it's the best time, why would i want to grow up?
Dumb speaker.

Of course since i lived in ahick state we would also get the "sesitive " speakers, that wanted to teach us about Racism that only white people had.:confused WTF?

Oh well it's over and now i Know better.

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, absolutely no one at our school rides so no one would catch the lie...

It didn't really make me think. The guy was going "180" on an off ramp and took a corner too hard. You can't say that it wasn't coming at one point.

I don't think these shock-value assemblies work too well. We had a guy in last year that was pretty messed up, talked like Rocky Balboa, all because he was drunk and wrapped his 240sx around a tree. The whole idea of the assembly was not to drink and drive. Maybe it's just me but this kind of stuff doesn't change my mind, and I think the average person will form his own decision of what to do AT the time without any reference to a speaker.

·
My R1 eats small pets
215 Posts
That guy is obviously embellishing the truth. And I still fail to see why simply because he was riding outside of his limits most likely with less than substantial gear on, why that means anyone else should not ride motorcycles. If all he was saying, was ride within your limits and always wear a helmet, that's fine.

But why would a school pay to have a speaker preach rider saftey to a group of kids that don't ride? Sounds to me more like they are trying to prevent them from riding in the first place.

Which I think is BS.

Being in the military, I have sat through more drunk driving briefings than I care to acknowledge. The fact of the mattter is, that these shock speakers sharing their past experiences do essentially no good. The people that are going to continue to break the law, or do stupid acts, could care less what happened to the guy next to them, and the ones that might actually listen to what the guy has to say, most likely would not commit that act in the first place.

·
relaxing
14,125 Posts
Rrail said:
Maybe it's just me but this kind of stuff doesn't change my mind, and I think the average person will form his own decision of what to do AT the time without any reference to a speaker.
You pretty much summed it up for all america's youth right there. No one will think about the drunk driving victim from an school assembly when it comes time to get home from one killer party filled with alcohol. Most adults don't either.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
1A2X1 said:
That guy is obviously embellishing the truth. And I still fail to see why simply because he was riding outside of his limits most likely with less than substantial gear on, why that means anyone else should not ride motorcycles. If all he was saying, was ride within your limits and always wear a helmet, that's fine.

But why would a school pay to have a speaker preach rider saftey to a group of kids that don't ride? Sounds to me more like they are trying to prevent them from riding in the first place.

Which I think is BS.

Being in the military, I have sat through more drunk driving briefings than I care to acknowledge. The fact of the mattter is, that these shock speakers sharing their past experiences do essentially no good. The people that are going to continue to break the law, or do stupid acts, could care less what happened to the guy next to them, and the ones that might actually listen to what the guy has to say, most likely would not commit that act in the first place.
:iamwithst
Been there, done that.
If the Military thought they could get away with it, i think they would ban people from riding, instead they make you wear stupid vests that endanger your life, and when i was in wouldn't accept riding boots as suitable footwear because it didn't meet the written standard. (WTF?)
and then they give everyone the standard, "you can be article 15'd for destruction of Gov't property if you crash and injure yourself" crap.

Schools are just wasting money they should be spending on teaching and educating in my opinion.

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh you took what I meant wrong, Beater. I'm not saying it's good to drive drunk, or ever acceptable, I would never do it. I'm just saying that, when you are standing there all liquored up with your keys in your hand, you aren't going to go "hmm that guy sure did get messed up". You're either going to make a mistake and get behind the wheel or you are going to go back inside and call a cab.

·
When in dought Whip it out
453 Posts
180MPH crash and survive ???

I don't think so. I've witnessed racer crash at slower speeds(on the track)with fatal results.
Mind you on the track there are no other cars or poles or curbs so on .So please explain how he survived 180 on the street crash.
Maybe he crashed into a open truck full of cotton balls??

Don't take offence its just my opinion

Ken

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
NYR1 said:
180MPH crash and survive ???

I don't think so. I've witnessed racer crash at slower speeds(on the track)with fatal results.
Mind you on the track there are no other cars or poles or curbs so on .So please explain how he survived 180 on the street crash.
Maybe he crashed into a open truck full of cotton balls??

Don't take offence its just my opinion

Ken
Ben Spies crashed at over 180mph at daytona a few weeks ago. He survived but had to have skin graphs cause his leathers melted to him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts