Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2006 R6R and new 2008 ZX10R
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As far as I understood, Sport rider magazine has compared 2004 bikes dyno figures to earlier year figures ( to 2003 GSXR and 2002 R1)... These comparisons are not reliable because of the different conditions (humidity, temperature, dyno condition etc..)

We have seen also different figures...see following german magazine comparison...

In this test it is logical that Honda and Suzuki gives better low and middle end power because of longer stroge...R1 and kawa high top end rush is not a surprise...those are real race engines...

Attachments

·
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
more

On the other (english ?) magazine test they have compared kawa and suzuki figures...In this time it is a surprise that even the middle powers are equal...

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
Don't underestimate the Honda. It is a race engine. Honda just wanted a good balance of torque and HP to make the power delivery manageable. However, you are right in that in its stock form, it is not ready for racing. In Superbike form, I am sure that Honda has modified it to rev up to ~14,000 rpm. Of course, the piston speed at this rpm would make for an unreliable engine and is therefore not suitable for a stock bike. But it will probably be perfect for a Superbike engine. Lots of very controllable power.

As you say, the Kawi and the R1 are race engines in their stock form. So, Supersport will probably be decided between them.

Since we now have a race series using the actual bikes that we can buy, i.e. Superstock, I think that Superbike is redundant and should be dropped.

We have MotoGP for the factories to show us what can be done without regard to cost - and Superstock for them to show us the best that they can do in a production bike!

Could things actually be any better?

Oh, SportRider plans to retest all of the bikes on the same day. I just wonder whether or not the Kawi and CBR will be actual production samples instead of special bikes received from the manufacturers.

·
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yes

Yes...I believe that Honda has some potential after race preparation...but just imagine actual piston speeds...Honda and Suzuki engines will be very unreliable...but Imagine what kind of rpm potential there are still in Yamaha and kawa engines because of the shorter stroke

·
Moving Chicane
782 Posts
these variations are primarily due to the fact that they are manually plotting real dyno charts into some utility and the increments with scale differences are leading to interpolation errors.

The only real way to due this is a comparison using the dynos software of run files on that dyno.

As big as the variance from the Honda/Suz to the Yam/Kwak, the ones that makes less sense is the Yam to Kwak of Sportrider versus the PS test above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts