Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
'nuff sed
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, why are they called "radial"?

Second, why and how are they supposed to perform better?

·
Broke old fat and slow!
264 Posts
First, why are they called "radial"?:

Because the slipping/breaking surfaces are radial (lay along the radius not a cylinder).

Second, why and how are they supposed to perform better?:

They are wider (have a greater surface for breaking).
Better cooled (see them open to air).
Can have 2, instead only one for each wheel.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what Robert Z is atalking about.

They are called radial calipers because that is short for radial mounted calipers. They are radially mounted meaning that the caliper mounting bolts are oriented front to back, almost along the wheel/rotor radius. "Normal" calipers are bolted onto the lower fork castings transversely to the wheel radius, parallel to the wheel axle.

Radial mount calipers are said to offer better feel and flex less under braking load than conventional calipers. It's unclear if that is hype or not, but the radial mount brakes on the zx-6RR with 4 pads-4 pistons per rotor are the best performing brakes ever fitted to a mass produced bike I have ever come across.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
dont forget that you can add larger diameter disks without modifying the bracket or calipers

all you need is spacers and longer bolts

·
12,225 Posts
K916 said:
what do you mean my "individual pads" ?

I'm sorry for the "dumb" question
One pad per piston caliper. Hence, individual pads. Result: 4 leading edges per rotor produces better brake performance

·
12,225 Posts
martinc said:
My guess with the ZX6 is the individual pads makes the bulk of braking improvement.
Thus, why I say it is unclear how much, if any, of the improved braking performance can be attributed to the radial mount design.

·
Super Moderator
27,468 Posts
I ride for fun... I like my brakes.. don't care if they're radial mounted or sideways mounted or upside down mounted. My bike stops when I pull the brake lever or push down on the brake pedal. ;) Just my .02 cents.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Anubis said:
I ride for fun... I like my brakes.. don't care if they're radial mounted or sideways mounted or upside down mounted. My bike stops when I pull the brake lever or push down on the brake pedal. ;) Just my .02 cents.
:yesnod :yesnod :yesnod :yesnod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts