Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I’ve got a 2004 Yamaha r6 my only problem cause she has never had a problem always started right up no problem untill I accidentally unplugged a wire lifting tank up to paint her and for got to check when I closed her back up and she wouldn’t start I finally figured it out and plugged it up and she fired right up. Now when I’m riding and go to down shift when coming to a stop as soon as pull in the clutch and press down to shift she cuts off and fires back up and my Speedo is saying er_1 what does this mean???!!

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,056 Posts
Check wiring.
Service manual say it's a communication problem in on between ECU and meter assembly.

I guess a momentarely shortcut in any of the signal leads to ecu can cause the same problem(?)

Obviously the problem goes away since the manual also say the engine is unable to start or run as long as the fault is active...

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,056 Posts
As Gearheaded say, it can be hard finding a short in a wiring harness, especially if it happen intermittently.

However, in your case it doesn't have to be a shortcut (probably not), i just thought it would be most logical to start where you first encoutered a problem, pulling a wire so hard it manage to pull out a locked connector...

It's not that straight forward too see how a stretched/pulled wire at the fuel tank could cause the ER-1 code to show up....

There's two wire connectors to the fuel tank: Fuel pump and fuel level (schematics from R1 but it's the same on R6)..
Since the engine wouldn't start to begin with i guess it was the connector for the fuel pump that got pulled or did you get the ER-1 fault code at that time?

The fuel level sensor connect to the meter assembly by the green/white wire and ground.
Now, since the level sensor normaly activate the warning light by switching the gr/w wire to ground that can't be the direct problem but could something else happened when the wires got stretched?

Does the engine cut out between all gears or just between second and first?

Rectangle Font Line Slope Parallel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts