Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the speedohealer website messing around witht the calculator as I am planning on installing mine shortly. I noticed that the calcualtor spits out two different correction rates, one for the speedometer and one for the odometer. I believe that they take a weighted average of the two to determine what you should set your SH at. My question is, if the correction factor for the odo is smaller than the setting on the SH, does this mean your odo is actually increasing at a slower rate than normal?

·
Woo Hoo
542 Posts
You can only calibrate for the speedo, or odometer accuracy, but not both.

A very few bikes out there have the odometer and speedo readings match up exactly, so for those you can do both (FJR1000).

I wish the manuf. wouldn't make them exaggerate the speed, we can live with the truth!

·
When's the next track day?
1,285 Posts
I think thats exactly what he is saying. On all stock R1s the speedo is off by 2-6mph depending on your speed. It always says your going faster than you really are to keep the ODO accurate. So if you calibrate your Speed, your ODO rate will clock mialage a little slower.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
you better off having the odo correct and let the speedo be a little high IMO

·
Boss of Twenty 9 year olds
268 Posts
you better off having the odo correct and let the speedo be a little high IMO

Perhaps Klo. But that is only an option when running stock gearing. Many take a tooth out of the front to "wake the bike up" slightly....if you do this, your speedo is off by up to 10mph, not the usual 2-4, resulting in many fake miles adding up on your Odo.

·
WHAT WHAT
63 Posts
the benefit is that your bike will have less mileage, and if you plan on selling it after a few years that mileage adds up. i couldn't believe how fast my R6 was racking up the miles after a month of going -1 +2 and not having a SH

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
Why would I want the odo to clock accurately over the speedo? What's the benefit in that?

makes it a little easier to remember when to do some of the maintance. For example, if you do your oil change for youself every 2.5~3k, going to be a little difficult if the odo is off. IF the speedo is high, worse case seniro is that your going slower than you thought.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the benefit is that your bike will have less mileage, and if you plan on selling it after a few years that mileage adds up. i couldn't believe how fast my R6 was racking up the miles after a month of going -1 +2 and not having a SH
I understand why you would want the odo to run slower. My question was why would you adjust to allow your odo to be accurate and your speedo to be off?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.