Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
seen 155 want more?
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know that there is a lot of posts on sprockets already, I read quite a few and my head is swimming.

I have an 03 R1 in silver. Already has micron slipon, pc3r, stacks, and cur airbox for performance mods. With just a slightly modded slipon file in the pc3r it made 145 rwhp and 77 tq. Will get retuned with slide stops and a race filter in the spring. Looking for ~150 and 80

What I want out of a sprocket change is this:

1) I want the performance of a -1 tooth frt sprocket

2) Do I want non hunting gearset for best chain life? This is crucial.

3) I want to use stock chain length.

4) don't want to go too radical because I dont wheelie, and wont like 3rd gear power wheelies so I think -1 +2 is out.

5) What is the BEST brand to get? Money isn't really an issue for the sprockets, since I dont want to worry about teeth shearing off.

I have 5500 miles on the current chain, and it has always been maintained properly. I dont want to buy a new chain yet if I can help it. Also I dont think I am ever going to go to a 520 conversion. Am I looking at a +2 rear change then? or +3? if so, its no big deal since I have to remove the wheel for a new tire anyhow. Or will the -1 front be JUST FINE?

Thanks for the info.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
With 5.5k on your exhisting chain you would not want to install new sprockets with it! unless of course you don't care about some severe lack of chain & sprocket life.

Since your not inclined to use a 520 setup then perhaps try the DID 530erv W/a +2R or -1F AFAM, Renthal or RRP sprockets. The -1F will lengthen the wheelbase just a bit, whereas the +2R will shorten it a bit.

BD

·
wheres the aux rev limiter?
882 Posts
Renthal ultralight, D.I.D 520 ERV2.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
-1 front and -1 rear will give you almost exactly the same ratio as + 2 rear as another way of doing it, with the rear sprocket being lighter than just a + 2 rear.:hellobye

1 - 4 of 4 Posts