Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys i was wondering if it is harder to do a wheelie standing up other than sitting down? I have only been trying to wheelie in first gear.....and the thing that scares me the most about wheelies is when i come back down sometimes i almost throw myself off the front of the bike. u guys got any pointers?

·
Would you stay down
95 Posts
Ok, being a bit of a novice myself, maybe its better to hear a few things from me, rather than the guys doing 12s! This method should prevent you slamming the front down and throwing yourself off! Get rolling in 1st with clutch all the way out to about 25mph. Then, 'cough' the throttle, or in other words, whack it open hard. Your survival instincts will kick in long before you flip it and you will slam the throttle shut. What you then have to do is learn to only shut the throttle a small amount to stop yourself going over backwards but to keep the front wheel off the ground. This will take a lot of passes so make sure you are doing this out of earshot of anyone who may call the police. You will then start to instinctively hold the throttle open to keep front off ground. This is good! From my experience, it is a slight constant twitch of the throttle which keeps it up, as opposed to a jerking motion. And a quick side note, body position is important. Sit as far back in the seat as possible, on the balls of your feet, and looking at a point on the horizon instead of just in front of bike. I know I could get flamed for all of this advice but the clutch technique is not as constant with far too many variables, so learning to wheelie is much harder. Its better once you know what you are doing as you can flick it up quicker but its still possible to pick the front up in 2nd gear using the same method I've been explaining, albeit at 70mph. With practice, the way I described is easier and gets your confidence going much sooner. Once you can keep the front wheel off the ground consistently, then move on to the clutch technique and then stand ups. All these guys on here pulling monster wheelies spent hours practising so be patient. And I may be wrong, but the stand ups are at a lower balance point so not so scary. Hope this helps.

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
You need to roll on the throttle as it is coming down. Once you get the hang of it you'll have nothing but soft touchdowns!

The way I learned standups is... in first gear stand up on the pegs then give it a little throttle so that the front comes up. As the front comes up you can become more upright in terms of body position. You don't need to bounce or cut and whack the throttle in first BTW, just roll on.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Im with LimeyR1, although i started to wheelie on an older ZX6R so i used the clutch before gettin a bike powerful enough to lift it off the power. My favourite way to wheelie is in second gear roll up to about 30mph then clutch it then ive got alot of revs i can use before i need to change gear, and also your not going as fast to quick. I would say that stand ups are easier, i can lift standups in 2nd and 3rd off the power, but just like when your learning to do sitdown wheelies its just practice and being patient. I think you would be better starting sit downs first. Hope this helps. :crash

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
Like R1LOON said, practice sitdowns first. They are easier. Don't cut off the throttle so hard (unless you are going to flip). That's why you are almost getting thrown over the bike.

Practice, Practice, Practice

·
Registered
261 Posts
I too am novice but can hold a wheelie for a couple hundred yards. My advice is to start with stand ups. You can steer a stand up and you can see a lot better, so if you are going to start leaning wheelies why not just learn a stand up instead of learning a sit down then trying to learn a stand up. I also think stand ups are a lot more comfortable then sit downs because like I said you can see and you actually bring the bike up to you. It just feels a lot better to me. But everybody has different techniques, so you just have to find the one that you like best.

·
Jaw Droppin' Stunts
124 Posts
...stand ups are easier... ...you can control the bike better and turn or change lanes, and if you run into trouble ... tap the rear brake... ...the biggest problem is people think they're doin' it right on R1's when they're not.. ...you gotta get the bike up fast to its balance point, otherwise your goin' to be open throttling the whole time and your gonna redline quicker, and/or come down at 130mph... not cool... ...practice in 2nd, but I do mine in 3rd clutchin while im sittin' and stand up pullin' the same time the bike comes up...

·
CRASH CLUB FREQUENT FLYER
63 Posts
i have been trying sit downs in 2nd and getting a little better at them (can go about a 1/4 mile when i am on). but the only way i can do them well is by being relaxed on the throttle. how is this possible with stand up's? it seems like you have to hold on by the bars, so it's tougher to control the throttle, any advice? is it a lot harder to throttle down when you get in trouble? thanks for any help, jim

·
Jaw Droppin' Stunts
124 Posts
naw naw, sit downs are harder to control for me, when you first do stand ups, its scary cause your higher than the bike, i'll admit when Im on a good one, 1 mile or 2, my forearms start to burn and i bring it down, usually in 3rd when I do them, next time, roll on 2nd at a high rpm and stand up the same time... and you can controll it by using your front tire as a rotor, turn right, stickin' out your left elbow and puttin' more pressure on your left peg and you'll drift left, same thing the other way... ...oh yah, when doin' stand ups, pull the bike to you chest and cover the back brake just in case...

·
skippy
325 Posts
Not me... sit downs first. it's a more normal riding position.

I like to bring it up and start to ride it and then stand up.
i find them a bit easier but probably more daunting at the start.

Just don't try and ride it out in first gear - quickly shift to second...
First gear is too twitchy.... second is great for power... third is smooth as silk.

·
Registered
261 Posts
elegalryder said:
has anyone gone straight to standups?
I did..:hellobye I just started to learn stand ups right away instead of sit downs. I can ride a stand up a couple hundred yards, maybe a 1/8-1/4 of a mile, but can only ride a sit down a couple of seconds because I am to scared to get it high while sitting down so I run out of rpm's really quickly. I just don't feel in control while sitting down, and really don't like the fact that I can't see very good while sitting down.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can only do sit down 2nd gear roll on wheelies now too...and i find that by the time i drop them down have a coulple hundred yards im doing 90mph+ since i dont want to bring it to the balance point while sitting...my question is though...im 6'4 and it seems awkward to do a standup (which i've tried) on the front pegs. Are any other tall guys doing standups compfortable? I feel like i have to hunch over all the time!

·
Living life in the fast lane.
16 Posts
Prophet said:
naw naw, sit downs are harder to control for me, when you first do stand ups, its scary cause your higher than the bike, i'll admit when Im on a good one, 1 mile or 2, my forearms start to burn and i bring it down, usually in 3rd when I do them, next time, roll on 2nd at a high rpm and stand up the same time... and you can controll it by using your front tire as a rotor, turn right, stickin' out your left elbow and puttin' more pressure on your left peg and you'll drift left, same thing the other way... ...oh yah, when doin' stand ups, pull the bike to you chest and cover the back brake just in case...

:iamwithst

·
Team Hissho
62 Posts
00r1,

Wheelies in general are hard to learn especially on a bike like the R-1. I used to have an old 1987 GSX-R 1100 and I could wheelie that bike sitting down from first gear all the way to third gear, I would start at about 30mph and come down at about 120mph. When I got my first R-1 I had trouble doing sit down wheelies. I can do sit downs now but I still don't feel as confident as I did on my old GSX-R. The main reason it was easier was because that bike had a longer wheelbase (57.5in.) so it came up slowly and predictably but when I tried it on the R-1 the bike felt like a bucking horse and I would freak out and shut off the throttle everytime. I just could not find the balance point. To answer your question in my opinion stand ups are WAY EASIER than sit downs-the reason being that in a sit down your bike and your body are both heading skyward but in a standup your bike heads skyward but your body position doesn't change too much, so the feeling of "going over" is more pronounced in a sit down than a standup. There is a lot of good advice given in this thread and I can't say which one you should learn first but I will tell you this-it took me three months to get the feel of sit downs again on my bike, I had standups down in TWO WEEKS!! So my advice is to try both ways and see which one suits you better. For the sit downs my advice is to start off slow and don't worry too much about balance point, try to learn throttle control. Your best bet is to have someone film you while you do it because I've had instances where a friend says "Dude, I pulled this massive wheelie today, I was VERTICAL!!" But when we filmed him his front wheel came a foot and a half off the ground! So what may FEEL like vertical may not be even close and if you watch the video then you can tell yourself "Okay, now I KNOW I can go higher than that!" As for satnd ups, my advice would be to try them somewhere that is safe and with a long straight road that you can get a good speed on. I found that the easiest time for me to do standups is when I am going about freeway speed. I bring it up at about 55/60mph. I start by going about 60mph, then I blip-shift down to second gear and at about 55mph I stand up, in one motion back-off the throttle (not all the way) bounce my body and the bike downward and on the rebound of the suspension lift my body up and crack the throttle almost wide open. Try not to hover too much of your body weight over the front end of the bike, let the bike COME TO YOU. It is much easier to find balance point in a standup. Practice and determination will get you there and please, BE SAFE.

Hope this helps!
Sonny

·
SPIDEY's BACK!
132 Posts
Sensei Diablo! :rock

·
Team Hissho
62 Posts
SPIDEYR1 said:
Sensei Diablo! :rock
No way SPIDEY!! YOU are the MASTER!! Thanks Bro, if it weren't for you I wouldn't have learned stand ups as quick. I'll keep on it and try new stuff too. Next is.........rolling stoppies!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts