Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering what is a good small sportbike for a girl around 5'2. Being that her birthday is coming up and she really loves bikes, especially with me on it, but thats another story. I want to get her starter small so that she can get the hang of bikes and can probably step up to a 600 in the near future. I heard the Ninja 250 might be good. Give some opinions and links please. Thanks

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
That's a great idea.....:thumbup

Have her look at an SV600 or is it the SV650. Those bikes look very tiny and as a vertically challenged person, it gives you more confidence on a smaller bike... But what's funny is, is that my 04 R6 is taller than my 03 R1.

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
R6's are generally taller than R1's.

As to a starter bike, look at either a Ninja 250, GS500 or similar. If she's as short as you say, I would think the 250 would be ideal.

Other alternatives could be a Yamaha XT225 or TW200 enduro.

My wife learned to ride on a '92 Seca-II. It's a 600cc carbeurated engine with about 50 hp. Not very powerful, but enough to get her into trouble if she let it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you can find one, a 650 honda hawk gt, v-twin single sided swingarm and you can put sweet skinz on them also! fairly cheap in nice condition for about 2K to 3K but they are kind of hard to find! i would rather ride one of those than a 250 ninja, just in case she gives it up!

·
4:20
7,308 Posts
has she ridden dirtbikes before? if you think she can handle a 600, get an F2. they range from 2-3 grand and are easy to ride. my sister used to have one but she rode dirtbikes/fast mopeds before that. they come in pink too:lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
If she has no experience whatsoever, how 'bout something like a 500 shadow? They're low, you can pick one up for $500 and sell it a year later for the same. Once she gets comfortable with riding you could then put her on something like an SV650. She needs to get enough experience to be comfortable knowing she can't put both feet down at a stop. You could also get most bikes lowered without to much trouble, but if your going to get her something to learn on, that she'll outgrow in a few months, you might as well get something low, and cheap.

·
is there ever enough power????
257 Posts
ninja 500 only has about 64Hp so it may get her ready for that 600 sooner thena 250 and I believe the height is the same.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts