Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what could have caused this? I'm in the process of swapping out the motor in my R1 and while moving some of the parts over tot he new motor, upon pulling my starter I realized the gaskets were completely blown out.

Bike is sitting at 29k miles and I've owned it since it's been at 7k and never once had an issue with the starter and the previous owner hadn't done anythign to the bike except plugs and oil changes. I'm guessing i'm going to have to take the starter apart and replace them but just curious if there is anything I should be doing to prevent this from happening again in the future?

Thanks,

·
Registered
91 Posts
Similar thing just happened to me. The gaskets failed and oil seeped in killing the starter. I used a Ricks rebuild kit. Not sure how to prevent it, but the rebuild kit is much cheaper than a new starter

·
R1.. The fast kind
944 Posts
I don't remember..
Is there any type of shaft seal, i can't see any in the spare parts list (?)

If there's no seal oil might enter anyway.
On the other side, normaly there's not much oil that high up in the engine unless the bike is tiped over on the left side..

The swollen seal in the OPs pictures is only there to stop dirt from the outside to enter...

I rode for several years with it like that until i changed it...

20200227_193300.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Similar thing just happened to me. The gaskets failed and oil seeped in killing the starter. I used a Ricks rebuild kit. Not sure how to prevent it, but the rebuild kit is much cheaper than a new starter
Yeah, I was trying to determine whether or not I needed to buy a rebuild kit. As I mentioned, it still worked when I pulled the motor last with no issues.
I was able to snip and superglue the gaskets back together and they're sitting snug; figure ill run it till it fails.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, I was trying to determine whether or not I needed to buy a rebuild kit. As I mentioned, it still worked when I pulled the motor last with no issues.
I was able to snip and superglue the gaskets back together and they're sitting snug; figure ill run it till it fails.
Makes sense, but I figured you already had taken it out of the bike. Its such a pain to get back to it, that I figured you might as well rebuild it and give yourself some more operational life.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense, but I figured you already had taken it out of the bike. Its such a pain to get back to it, that I figured you might as well rebuild it and give yourself some more operational life.
Damn, I was afraid someone would bring that up. It looks like I can buy the gaskets by themselves via ronayers so I'll just replace them, inspect the guts and make sure there isn't debris or oil in the actual body.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Damn, I was afraid someone would bring that up. It looks like I can buy the gaskets by themselves via ronayers so I'll just replace them, inspect the guts and make sure there isn't debris or oil in the actual body.
Yeah once you have it out, its just two bolts to take it apart and examine it. Once inside you will see like these 4 magnetic squares that pop in and out. 2 of mine were completely stuck in the "closed" position which led to very weak starting, to eventually not starting at all. Careful how you take it apart so you remember how to put it back together.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah once you have it out, its just two bolts to take it apart and examine it. Once inside you will see like these 4 magnetic squares that pop in and out. 2 of mine were completely stuck in the "closed" position which led to very weak starting, to eventually not starting at all. Careful how you take it apart so you remember how to put it back together.
Appreciate the feedback; yeah I had a feeling this should be some thing I address while I have it out but I was being lazy & in a hurry to get it all back together. Need to slow down and do it the right way the first time around.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Popped open the starter to replace the gaskets with the new ones that just got in only to find one of the magnets had shifted. Really hoped to be be done buying parts for this thing :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ricks rebuilt kit is your nex
Popped open the starter to replace the gaskets with the new ones that just got in only to find one of the magnets had shifted. Really hoped to be be done buying parts for this thing :(
TWO WORDS Brother: Rebuild kit

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't think there was anything to be done once the magnets come loose, I can buy a rebuilt starter for $200 or a new one for $250

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah but the rebuild kit i think is like 120

Rebuild kit includes everything except the sleeve there the magnets are attached...which is the only piece I need. Everything else is functioning just fine but the failed magnets will eventually cause the whole thing to fail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts