Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the starter is wired in?? The Battery cable is connected to the solonoid with red out of the positive. Then does it go black out the other side to the starter??? and then black again to neg battery terminal??? I am really confused. Some help here would be great. I am just getting a clicking noise here. clicking over and over, I have a new battery and it fully charged. So I am confused. Please let me know

·
The Original One
2,290 Posts
Red goes from battery to solenoid. On the other side of the solenoid the thick black wire with rubber boot on goes directly to the (+) starter motor. If you truly have a new fully charged battery clicking would indicate a faulty solenoid. Have you tried bridging the solenoid with something suitable?

My solenoid buzzes and then finally just clicks if the battery is down, if thats the case charge it first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, got it. It turned over, then I put the fuel tank back on, and the fuel pump pumped. And then pumped slower and slower and then no more, then the bike would not turn over any more. Also my N light has gone off on the instrument panel. I will not even click anymore. I don't know what I did or anything. Also I have no idea what wire goes to what for the neutral switch. I am building this bike from scratch and now I have it a wall. ARGHHH

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, got it. I had to connect the clutch switch and it turns over, but I found out that I have a bad solonoid now. It works kinda and now not at all. Even though I have 13.0 volts at the battery. If I jump it it turns over well. But I cannot get any spark out of the plugs now. Any one have any ideas about that. I need spark to make it run. I also tested the fuel pump and it is good. It had the correct pressure so now it did not have to keep pumping. But I have to have spark. Any ideas

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
sound like a big mess
the fuel pump pumps slower and slower- thats normal ,this is how it should work,when it reaches the right pressure t no longer pumps.
there wont be a spark if the starter is not turning the engine , fix the starter problem first .
i dont think your solonoid is bad , check connections , fix the neutral light first .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the Neutral light fixed. I have got the starter turning too. I just have no spark now. I pulled a plug and I have nothing. I am tearing though wiring diagrams and my head is hurting now.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
I got the Neutral light fixed. I have got the starter turning too. I just have no spark now. I pulled a plug and I have nothing. I am tearing though wiring diagrams and my head is hurting now.
check pick up connection (the wire that comes from the right side of the engine from case next to clutch.
also, do u know how to test for spark? (dont just hold the plug in your hand , touch some bare metal part of bike with sparks threads)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I have been testing for spark. don't have it, I don't have electricity to the coils. Or before coils. It then goes into the wiring harness and I don't know where it goes from there. Oh and thankyou for telling me where the neutral saftey swith is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have it figured out, well kind of. Here is the deal now. It turned over then quit. Well I figured out why. I have electricity for my starter running through my neutral saftey switch. There for the little ball on the end of it melted and closed the connection. My solonoid is good. But now I am wondering why I have 12.2v running through that little line. I know that is not right. It will burn it out again. So what I need to know is if I have the battery connections hooked up right. So coming out of the positive, it goes to the solonoid, then to the top of the starter. Then from the negative it comes out and goes to the bottom of the starter, going into a bolt that holds the starter down. From everything that I have read this is correct. But I feel that I need to have the battey grounded somewhere around the battery box. But when I got the bike it was in pieces so I am doing everything off of a manual. So the pictures that I have are a little scematics. This should in turn fix all of my problems that I have. and be running in no time.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
sounds like your battery connections are right .when the (-) wire connected to the engine it also connects the frame and all the other big metal parts to (-) so u dont have to make another ground connection.
neutral switch is connected to the main harness on the right side ,it has nothing to do with solonoid connection or starter so it shouldnt be melted.
did u have any kind of alarm systemon the bike?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I do not have an alarm on bike. Well there are 2 different sizes of cables that are both black, does it matter which one goes where??? I think that I have a bad ground somewhere. What can I do to check grounds? or to check currents

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
the thickkest wire goes to one of the starter bolts (the - ...the + is on top of the starter)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I will give this a try tonight, I have them backwards as of now. Although it really shouldn't make a difference. Are there any other wires that ground back around the battery at all? out of the CDI Box? I need to look into this farther it think. I will check all of my grounds and see how many volts go through all of them and then post later. Thank you SSSR1. You have been a great help

·
busa racing r1 stunna
23 Posts
hey maybe you guys could help me out i got a 99 r1 that my buddy wrecked and im rebuilding i have it to where it will turn over fine and everything seems to work but no fire i have a cdrom but it doesnt have the test schematics for the cdi box i have no fire coils should be ok only the cdi could have been damage but its not visible thank.s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.