Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 R1
was out riding, stopped for a break. Go to restart but...
The starter is spinning but not engaging.
Push start it and go on.
Get home, Take starter out, stick my finger in the hole where starter was, and can turn the gear one way but not the other so i assume the one way bearing is working.
The direction the starter is spinning, it is trying to turn the engine clockwise, if looking at the starter clutch from the left side of the engine.

Anyone know what the direction of rotation the engine runs?
I have never had the starter apart, so i dont think it could magically start spinning the wrong way. The one way bearing seems to be working fine.

Any input?
Thanks

·
That Venom Swag Guy
735 Posts
Pretty sure the starter gear inside should only rotate clockwise if looking at the motor, when you try to spin it from inside the starter hole it should be counter clockwise, hope you understand I confused myself a little as well haha I could be wrong but last time I had the stator out I turned it and believe thats it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a service manual. The only test is see i can do is the 'checking the starter clutch' to make sure the one way bearing didnt somehow start working the opposite way, not sure if that is possible. Gonna run this check this weekend sometime. This is weird...

·
Its not broken its a feature
3 Posts
Fixed starter spinning wrong way

I know this is an old thread but I had the same issue. I was fixing my bike and the same thing happened. It turned out to be the lines on the starter body were out of alignment

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any more info on this?? Having the same problem with my 06 R1
Replaced starter and one way clutch and still not engaging or turning the engine over.

any ideas???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts