Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· WeR1
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i start my 2002 R1 engine, it takes 2 or 3 sec. to start. I need to turn the trottle a bit, if i need to start it faster. Is it the same for yours ? Is it normal ? I thinked, with FI, supposed to be better...

Thanks

· 2 wheels are all you need
30 Posts
Well I was thinking about asking that myself.
My bike doesnt start as quickly as my friends FI Harley!

Seems like it takes a bit before the revs pick up enough to keep the engine going sometimes as well. I have taken to giving it gas right after it catches for a second to ensure it doesnt stall after starting...

There's my experience....anyone else?

· I put my knee down for prayer.
168 Posts
I don't have that problem at all. Mine starts right up. Make sure that you wait for the fuel injection to adjust before you start it. It is that high pitch sound that you hear when you turn the key and have the kill switch on.

· Apex Addict
82 Posts
You shouldn't have to turn the throttle to start an EFI bike. Most bikes that have EFI have them programmed to run rich to ease starting (no choke lever required). I haven't got my R1 yet, picking it up the first week of May, so I can't comment on how my R1 starts.

· Pegs are made for draggin'
272 Posts
I believe that the pressurizing is tied to the kill switch. I totally agree that you need to wait until the fuel pump shuts off, just want everyone to be aware if you leave your kill switch off the pump won't pressurize until you turn it on.

As for my bike I have never had to give it any throttle to make it start, and it starts in less than 1 sec. You might want to double check that your idle setting isn't to low, that is of course if Liter Boy's suggestion doesn't work.

J

· Get The Hell Outta My Way
565 Posts
OK, here's what my dealer told me to do for a cold start, and it's worked every time. Turn the ignition on, and wait for the pump to stop whirring. Hit the starter for a second or two, then let off. Wait a second, then turn it over again. It should start up almost immediately, run a little rough for a second, then all's well.

Someone told me that this is all due to the vacuum FI system, and though it's fractionally more work to start than my 929, the R1's throttle response makes it more than worth it.

· street-dirt-snow
140 Posts
yep mine too

mine cranks a few times
starts and dies
then i hit the starter again and it goes..
kinda annoying...
i think it would work everytime if done
like BRBJackson describes...
fk it...as long as it goes...
my jeep does almost the same thing...
something about having the ignition disabled until
there is oil pressure...not sure if thats true...so it always cranks and cranks
but always starts...

· I R1 crazy suka!
108 Posts
After reading your posts I would say you should be pissed. I depress the start button, release, Whalla.
Purring like a kitten. Something is not mapped or adjusted right. Get it checked.

· Registered
183 Posts
Notice something from the previous responses? Those that do not have problems with initial starting are from warm climes, whilst those that have a bit more trouble are from northern latitudes.

There were some exceptions; but it's interesting to note that the '02 is a bit cold blooded.

I find nudging the starter switch briefly, then letting off, then touching it again to be the effective cure, also.:confused:

· Il Padrino
1,981 Posts
My stolen '02 R1 started great... less than a second every time, warm, cold, snowing (snowing?)...

My replacement R1 seems to be experiencing the same problem as most of you mention... it takes several seconds to start when its cold and it idles rough for bit before everything is good.

· Stupid people shouldn't breed
48 Posts
My '02 does the same thing, so did my '00. I live in a colder climate and they say the R1 takes a lot of juice to get everything started and warmed up. Who needs to get on their bike and go that quick. Patience is a virtue... especially when riding a 1000cc bike!:confused:

· Horatio Balsac
317 Posts
I know what you mean. It is such a pain. My thumb gets tired and I almost waste 3 seconds out of my day trying to start it twice. Mabey we need to put remote starters on our bike, that way we can get all of those "pre starts" done before we get to the bike!

I'm probably just going to go the easy route and put a kickstarter on mine!:thumbup

:hellobye

· JUST ....SHUT-UP and RIDE...!
148 Posts
:eek: Damn guys....mine PURRRSSSS like a Kitten,and starts rite up,but i NEVER start mine until te system has pressurized and fuel pump has kicked off:) ......Goood luck !!!!!!:beer

· 2 wheels are all you need
30 Posts
Following along on the string of comments...

when the bike has been running and I stop for lunch or take a break - like for errands - trying to get all the miles I can on the bike to get past break in...

then it restarts in a flash...

cold start - even in warm weather - takes a few seconds.

I am getting it checked....thanks for the input all.

· Its time to catch up GIXXER
1,188 Posts
Starting

I have no problem with mine. You have to wait for few seconds until the EMS(Engine Management Sysytem)checks everthing it will only take less than 2 seconds. Yesterday my friend start the my bike with a little twist on the throttle i didn't start. So the EFI does work.:no

· INVICTUS
15,201 Posts
I had the same problem ................

Leaving the dealer yesterday. And when it did start it cut off twice. I'll get the hang of it though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.