Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do I even explain this, I’m so emotionally and physically drained it’s insane! So my bike just recently, I’d say 3 weeks ago started to give me problems on a cold start taking a few serconds longer than usual to start but for the most part she’d START, but a couple of days ago she decided to completely take a dump on me and not start at ALL! She’d crank crank crank till the cranks eventually got slower, weaker AND just STOPPED cranking or doing anything at all! Only thing it did was a clicking noise coming from the starter relay which I ended ordering, when I received the new starter relay I installed it like so and the bike started to crank crank crank again till exhaust back fired BUT no start, I decided to replace battery I got off autozone a duralast to be exact not that brand matters I think but anyhow, no luck with new battery either.😞 if anybody has ever experienced this issue and figured it out please, I would appreciate it so much if you could point me in right direction, I rather try here first before I take her to the tech and get knock over the head. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
117 Posts
HI JIMR1,has the ambient air temp in your area dropped as you change season,I have the same issue with my 2011 coming into winter where as soon as the temp falls below 10 degrees Celsius I get similar cold start issues.Have put it down to air-fuel ratio not richening enough for initial firing,not sure if it can be adjusted or not but advice from my entrusted mechanic has helped: Hi density fuels ( 98 Ron here in Aus ) create more energy ,but can be harder to ignite.So as winter approaches I switch back to 95 Ron fuel , goes without saying that having good plugs and valve adjustment is a must.

·
Registered
292 Posts
No it hasn’t, I’m in Florida so for the weather to drop down to the 60°s it’s rare!
It sounds like the battery was drained by repeated attempts to start it. You'll have to deal with that first. It also sounds as if you have a problem with the ignition, maybe a fuse or bad connection. Florida is famous for extreme humidity, which can over time, deteriorate electrical connections.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like the battery was drained by repeated attempts to start it. You'll have to deal with that first. It also sounds as if you have a problem with the ignition, maybe a fuse or bad connection. Florida is famous for extreme humidity, which can over time, deteriorate electrical connections.
I dropped her off at the shop last night and the tech asked me how old was my battery, I told him it came with it so I’m not sure but either way I bought a battery off auto zone and almost came on but fell short, as I continued to try the cranking got weaker and slower. I really hope that it’s just in need of a good battery and that’s it. To be fair the battery I purchased off autozone only had 190cca maybe a 360+cca will do it but too late I dropped her off last night.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I dropped her off at the shop last night and the tech asked me how old was my battery. I told him it came with it so I’m not sure but either way I bought a battery off auto zone and almost came on but fell short, as I continued to try the cranking got weaker and slower. I really hope that it’s just in need of a good battery and that’s it. To be fair the battery I purchased off autozone only had 190cca maybe a 360+cca will do it but too late I dropped her off last night.
Good luck Jim. Let us know how it turns out. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
So how do I even explain this, I’m so emotionally and physically drained it’s insane! So my bike just recently, I’d say 3 weeks ago started to give me problems on a cold start taking a few serconds longer than usual to start but for the most part she’d START, but a couple of days ago she decided to completely take a dump on me and not start at ALL! She’d crank crank crank till the cranks eventually got slower, weaker AND just STOPPED cranking or doing anything at all! Only thing it did was a clicking noise coming from the starter relay which I ended ordering, when I received the new starter relay I installed it like so and the bike started to crank crank crank again till exhaust back fired BUT no start, I decided to replace battery I got off autozone a duralast to be exact not that brand matters I think but anyhow, no luck with new battery either.😞 if anybody has ever experienced this issue and figured it out please, I would appreciate it so much if you could point me in right direction, I rather try here first before I take her to the tech and get knock over the head. Thanks in advance guys.
Hey Jim I have a 2014 with the same cold start problem. What I do is keep it on the battery tender while I’m cranking it and open the throttle a bit while cranking and it usually works. Also I sometimes shoot some ether into the air intake opening and that does it

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,350 Posts
Check the electrical connections in the lead from the main switch to the harness. At full lock it can get tugged and cause a loose connection in the pins. Then they heat up and get damaged and the situation deteriorates.

If you catch it early you can use a small flat blade screwdriver to line the pins back up. Also, electrical contact cleaner doesn't hurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts