Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super SIC
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I'm not sure if I've even put this in the right place but i'm sure someone will tell me if I haven't :)

Next year i'm due to start racing my 2005, Yamaha 5VY in the Metzeler Newcomers Championship, obviously in the 1000CC Class. With my old man! :D
He has a 2011 Yamaha R1.
I'm not new to biking, but am new to racing.

This is going to be a thread for me to ask questions and pretty much be a build log for everything as well, for both mine and my old mans. Finally. I CANNOT WAIT!

Straight away, my budget isn't endless but I am willing to make sacrifices in every day life ;) Any suggestion is good.
This is what credit cards and good credit was for was it not?!

My question to you guys is, what would you recommend upgrades wise?
I've been studying what the other competitors are using and I seem to be up against brand new S1000RR's, new Fireblades and ZX-10's that are at most 2 years old.. Mines coming up for 10..
She has only just tipped the 20,000 Miles of which I've done 8 of them. Full Yamaha Service history :)

So far this is what I've done:

Akrapovic Carbon and Titanium Slip ons
Akrapovic Titanium Decat
520 Talon Sprockets. Standard front. 47 Rear (+2 on the rear)
RK Chain
Brembo SC Pads (front)
OEM Yamaha pads for the rear
Dot 5.1 Front and Rear
HEL Race Setup (front and rear)
Brembo Master Cylinder Hose
Brembo Mini Master Cylinder for the rear

Suspension Setup for my weight (18 stone) by MCT.
Hopefully over the next few months this weight will drop, I ideally want to be around the 16 stone mark by the end of this year.

What I plan on doing:

Race fairing
Powercommander 5 (On order)
Rolling Road time and a proper setup.
Dynojet Quickshifter (On order)
Lightweight Lithium Polymer Battery
Gilles Rearsets (Race shift)
Renthal Clip Ons (titanium)
Renthal Grips
Ohlins Steering Damper (How have you guys found the standard?)
I've been on several track days varying from the new Snetterton 300 Circuit, Brands Hatch, the full circuit not the indy and Cadwell. I've found the front to be a bit gittery with the +2 rear but its always been manageable.. Ohlins worth the upgrade?

Also, heavy weight standard rear shock springs? Anyone seen these before?

I'm not allowed Carbon Fibre wheels, but am allowed to have Magnesium. I've heard that this upgrade really is the one to go for..
BIKEHPS have a deal on at the moment, when you buy the Marchesini Wheels you get them with 10 months 0% finance and money off lightweight discs :D
What do you guys think??

What brand of Tyre Warmers would you guys recommend as well?
I've seen the Chicken Hawk Racing warmers and they look quality, and they're right on the money.

Have a read, let me know your thoughts.
I will upload pictures of her tonight :)

Peace guys!

·
Track time :flex:
14,730 Posts
I think youre focusing too much on upgrades for now. You should focus more on technique first.

I dont know your skill level, but starting racing in a 1000 is quite a tall order. A lot of fast experts sometime you go to their bikes and they dont even have an aftermarket exhaust in the bike :fact

I also dont know what series youre running (dont know where youre from) but R1 in my series and most i know at least is not a HeavyWeight bike, its Unlimited.

Chicken hawk from ridersdiscount is a good bet, have had my for 5 years now

·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,287 Posts
I think youre focusing too much on upgrades for now. You should focus more on technique first.

I dont know your skill level, but starting racing in a 1000 is quite a tall order. A lot of fast experts sometime you go to their bikes and they dont even have an aftermarket exhaust in the bike :fact

I also dont know what series youre running (dont know where youre from) but R1 in my series and most i know at least is not a HeavyWeight bike, its Unlimited.

Chicken hawk from ridersdiscount is a good bet, have had my for 5 years now

^^ This Marcelo character is batting for the wrong team if you catch my drift... :greddy::sissy::flame::gayfight2:

But, all that aside... He knows a thing or 2 about racing :fact

·
Track time :flex:
14,730 Posts
^^ This Marcelo character is batting for the wrong team if you catch my drift... :greddy::sissy::flame::gayfight2:

But, all that aside... He knows a thing or 2 about racing :fact

:lol I've been around

1 - 4 of 4 Posts