Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
J58
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing out tires way too often.
Any suggestions on some good products?
Surprisingly not much info on this topic.
What's everyone using?

Cheers

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
Changing out tires way too often.
Any suggestions on some good products?
Surprisingly not much info on this topic.
What's everyone using?

Cheers
I use the black widow static balancer; it's great and low cost.

For rim protection, I use the motion pro rim shield (the larger blue ones). They work well but you really need probably 3-4 of them to do the rims on the R1. They stand up well, but generally one will bite the dust for every two tires you change.

Ray

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
Thx Ray I'll have a look.
Cheers
I just listed one for sale in the FS section. It's the same part that comes with the black widow stand, but it uses two brackets which you can attach to a table or set on boxes, etc. It's the static balancer I used prior to buying one that has its own stand. It's nice because it stores away more readily.

Ray

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
1,092 Posts
I use the No Mar Static Balancer

I've used the No Mar Balancer for years and it works great, inexpensive and parts are easily and readily available.

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
Yes, those are the correct items. I think I bought my stand off ebay or amazon, not sure.

I have not tried the last style of rim protectors you show there, although I do have some handy to try next time. I've had good luck with the larger style myself.

Changing R1 tires by hand is no easy affair. If you are using tire irons, it takes 4 generally and it's very easy to scratch up the rims. If you don't want scratches on your rims, take the wheels/tires to a shop and pay to have it done professionally by one of those machines that doesn't make contact with the lip of the wheel. Even the no mar ones will still scratch up your rims if you are not very careful during installation.

Ray

·
J58
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for the help Ray.
I have access to one of those fancy wheel machines and dynamic balancers but I don't have the bike attachment for the balancer. The attachment is fairly costly and the general consensus has been the static balancers do as good of a job if not better than the dynamic balancers. Fairly sure I'll end up buying the static balancer and using the fancy tire machine to breakdown and mount the tires. Not too interested in marking the rims. May buy a spare set of irons and rim protectors for track days.
Cheers

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
Thx for the help Ray.
I have access to one of those fancy wheel machines and dynamic balancers but I don't have the bike attachment for the balancer. The attachment is fairly costly and the general consensus has been the static balancers do as good of a job if not better than the dynamic balancers. Fairly sure I'll end up buying the static balancer and using the fancy tire machine to breakdown and mount the tires. Not too interested in marking the rims. May buy a spare set of irons and rim protectors for track days.
Cheers
Yeah, I prefer doing it by hand using the static balancer. I use it to find the heavy spot of the wheel assembly first, then mount the tire according to that. Then balance the entire wheel/tire assembly again - typically down to 1/4 gram or so. Just to put it into perspective, a small section of scotch tape or 1 coffee bean weighs about 1/4 gram.

Using the static balancer, it's amazing how accurately you can balance the wheels. If you want your bike to be super smooth at high speed, then do the balancing by hand, not by machine.

Ray

·
J58
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Static Balancers
*Black Magic
*No Mar

Rim shields/protectors
*Motion Pro

Any other suggestions on good products?

·
Is there anybody out there?
3,989 Posts
Gots to disagree with RayJohns. I can change both tires and static balance in about 1.5 hrs and do it with no damage to my rims. I use cut up shampoo bottles for rim protectors. That and a spray bottle of soapy water and you'll be fine. Just be careful and don't grab big bites when you try to pry the tire off. Baby steps.

Mark

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
Gots to disagree with RayJohns. I can change both tires and static balance in about 1.5 hrs and do it with no damage to my rims. I use cut up shampoo bottles for rim protectors. That and a spray bottle of soapy water and you'll be fine. Just be careful and don't grab big bites when you try to pry the tire off. Baby steps.

Mark
I'm sending you my wheels and tires from here on out!! :)

Ray

·
R1 Forum Star
16,200 Posts

Mark
1.5 hrs? No-mar I can mount and balance the front and rear over lunch and still have time to eat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
iGoldeneye
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing