Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brothers 02 R6 will not keep a charge. When the bike is turned off it will not restart. It has a new battery.

If I were to test the stator, what should the 3 wires do. I am assuming one is a ground, ona a positive, and the 3rd I dont know. What wires do what from the stator. They are all white wires. Thanks

·
hookers do it best
585 Posts
no you have it all wrong!!! you need a digital multimeter. If each wire had a number so say wires 1 2 & 3 You need to check continuity between wires 1&2, 1&3 & 2&3 thats ohms. If you dont have continuity between any of these sets wires you have a bad stator. if continuity is good then check or even better before yu do that check the charging out put. Put the multimeeter in volts setting put the meeter leads on the bat. pos to pos neg to neg. Slowly increase the rpm it should read between 13 & 14.5 v dc. if it dont check stator as stated before. Now that I think about it befor you do both of thoes things what dose the battery read in v. dc with the key off bike off eng not running if it is below 11v dc you might have a prob. One more thing. If you buy a new battery and just install it in you bike without charging it say , overnight. that battery will never reach it's full capabilites. It will only go as high (voltage) as it was when you installed it in the bike. If everything checks out ok pm me or just reply in this thread and I will tell ya how to test the regulator rectifier it gets compliated so I'll wait hope this helps

·
hookers do it best
585 Posts
How to check you rect. reg. Ok her it goes. First you must have a digital multimeter!! You have to set the multi meter to the diode setting. It looks like a triangle with a line through it and and across it. You have three white wires and a red and a black wire comming out of your rect. You have to perform forward and reverse bias tests. There is 12 tests in all. Dissconnect the plug to the rect. Put you pos. meter lead on the red wire. As stated before the white wires are 1-2 & 3. Put the neg. meter lead on the white wires individually 1,2 & 3. You should not get any voltage if you do it is bad. (that was checks 1-3) Now take you neg meter lead and put it on the red wire and do the same as above wires 1,2,3. again you should get nothing. (checks 4,5,6) If you do it is bad. Now put your red meter lead (pos) on the black wire and check 1,2,3 again you should have .3-8v is the general spec. (checks 789)Now again put your blk meter lead (neg) and put it on the red wire and check 1,2,3 with the red meter lead, you should get .3-.8 volts if you dont your gonna need a new one.(checks 10,11,12) I hope you understand all tha if ya dont you know where to find me.

I almost forgot to tellyou how to test the out put of the stator. Again wires 1,2,3 Meeter in volts A.C.!!!!!!!! eng. running disconnect the stator and again check from 1-2, 2-3, & 1-3 all should read 7-30 volts A.C. Do this to confirm the stator is bad before doing the above steps. Hope this helps:thumbup

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I looked at the rectifier and saw trhat one of the white wire terminals on the plug was burned and brown. I cut the wire out of teh plug that goes into the rectifier/regulator and put a new connector on it. Now I am getting 13.5 volts at the baterry while the bike is running.

The baterry is charging but shouldnt it be at 14.5. Did I burn out one of the wires leading to the stator? Does the stator need to be replaced or will 13.5 volts be sufficient?

Before fixing this plug it was charging at a mere 12.5 volts and the bike would die after turning it off. THANKS AGAIN youve been lots of help.

·
hookers do it best
585 Posts
when testing the stator continunity you should have .19-.23 ohms (thats what it is for the 03 r1) sorry I didnt say that before I just said continuity. I come home from schooland drink beer and play on the computer. Thats why I forgot. But do the ac voltage out put test on the stator that I described above. that shoul tell you if all 3 phases of the stator are working correctly.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
no you have it all wrong!!! you need a digital multimeter. If each wire had a number so say wires 1 2 & 3 You need to check continuity between wires 1&2, 1&3 & 2&3 thats ohms. If you dont have continuity between any of these sets wires you have a bad stator. if continuity is good then check or even better before yu do that check the charging out put. Put the multimeeter in volts setting put the meeter leads on the bat. pos to pos neg to neg. Slowly increase the rpm it should read between 13 & 14.5 v dc. if it dont check stator as stated before. Now that I think about it befor you do both of thoes things what dose the battery read in v. dc with the key off bike off eng not running if it is below 11v dc you might have a prob. One more thing. If you buy a new battery and just install it in you bike without charging it say , overnight. that battery will never reach it's full capabilites. It will only go as high (voltage) as it was when you installed it in the bike. If everything checks out ok pm me or just reply in this thread and I will tell ya how to test the regulator rectifier it gets compliated so I'll wait hope this helps

If I charge the battery after the fact to max capacity will this solve the problem when I reinstall....

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 2005 yamaha r1 and my stator went out, when i opened up the bike i had to replace the generator rotor and the stator because all the magnets on the rotor had burned off. I put a brand new rotor and stator in the bike and changed the oil. i rode the bike for about a week and one day after riding i filled the gas tank and the the bike would not start after jump starting it i rode for 2 blocks and the check engine light came on and displayed code 46 so when i got home i opened up the bike again and the stator is no good (the windings on one of the fins were touching and one of the fins was broken) any idea why this is happening?

·
Registered
7 Posts
this is an old thread but very useful. i just did the test the stator i am getting 1.3 ohm for each test good right? the rectifier now on the other hand from test seems to be bad for first part seems fine no reading, second i get a reading,3rd .433v, last test no reading. so it failed on 2 fine on 2 so it is junk right?

·
My R1 is a Death Trap
18 Posts
this is an old thread but very useful. i just did the test the stator i am getting 1.3 ohm for each test good right? the rectifier now on the other hand from test seems to be bad for first part seems fine no reading, second i get a reading,3rd .433v, last test no reading. so it failed on 2 fine on 2 so it is junk right?
Did you ever solve your problem..? I'm getting the reading of 1.3ohms on each as well. I havent tested them with it connect and the bike on yet for ac voltage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
jumoneyj
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing