Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my stator cover is now leaking oil and I need to pull it off to replace it. I've searched and I came up with this conclusion... remove the center piece(is this like a screw?) and the M6/M8 bolts around the stator and just pull it out? Here is a pic... do I need to remove these bolts to get the stator out without removing the generator rotor? My goal is to just remove the cover and not the whole thing with the gears and all. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Track Noobie...
270 Posts
i just removed and replaced mine recently. I pulled the whole generator out when i pulled mine off. The stator itself is Bolted onto the bearing housing and that is on the stator cover. I read somewhere you can hold the inside and just pull the stator out and keep the gearing in. But i didnt get a chance to try that.

If you do pull the whole thing out(which isnt that hard to put back in) MAKE SURE you dont let the washer and bearing at the end of the generator fall into the engine. There is a thread in the 04-06 how to on how to put the generator back in. Its really simple.

The stator however wasnt easy for me. People made it sound easy but it wasnt. Once you get the stator off you have to take the 3 torque bolts off( which are easy to strip so be careful) and remove the stator from the bearing housing. I ended up stripping one so i had to cut it off and made longer process for myself. Anyhow, Once you get that off all i did to take the bearing out was take a heat gun and just heat the cover for about 7-10 mins and turn it over. The bearings will literally fall out. DO the opposite to put them in. Cool the bearing down and heat the new cover up and itll fall into place. Good luck. took me about a day to do it cuz there really isnt a specific how to thread on here to do it.

·
Track Noobie...
270 Posts
I heard you can do that. take the plug out and hold the middle with something and pull the cover off. it will be pretty tough as the cover to the generator is a magnet. I havent done that so i cant tell you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just removed and replaced mine recently. I pulled the whole generator out when i pulled mine off. The stator itself is Bolted onto the bearing housing and that is on the stator cover. I read somewhere you can hold the inside and just pull the stator out and keep the gearing in. But i didnt get a chance to try that.

If you do pull the whole thing out(which isnt that hard to put back in) MAKE SURE you dont let the washer and bearing at the end of the generator fall into the engine. There is a thread in the 04-06 how to on how to put the generator back in. Its really simple.

The stator however wasnt easy for me. People made it sound easy but it wasnt. Once you get the stator off you have to take the 3 torque bolts off( which are easy to strip so be careful) and remove the stator from the bearing housing. I ended up stripping one so i had to cut it off and made longer process for myself. Anyhow, Once you get that off all i did to take the bearing out was take a heat gun and just heat the cover for about 7-10 mins and turn it over. The bearings will literally fall out. DO the opposite to put them in. Cool the bearing down and heat the new cover up and itll fall into place. Good luck. took me about a day to do it cuz there really isnt a specific how to thread on here to do it.

I know this is an old thread, but I've literally ran into the same exact problem in stripping a bolt that connects the stator coils to the engine cover. I see that you'd ended up cutting yours off, but I'm not really sure where to begin with that process. Can you kind of explain that? How exactly did you manage to cut it, where did you actually cut, and what should I expect?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Normaly, the easiest way is to drill out the screw head.
I think the stator screws are M6 so use a 6mm or equivalent drillbit to remove the screw head.
Thanks! I appreciate that. After drilling it, does the stator twist off, or slip off, and how easy is it to remove around that point?

Reactions: Ozzian

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,026 Posts
Yes, the stator will slide right out as soon as the other two screws are removed and the damaged screw head are drilled off.

Also remove the clamp holding the cable.

With stator off it's easy to remove the rest of the damaged screw (y)

Diagram Auto part Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, the stator will slide right out as soon as the other two screws are removed and the damaged screw head are drilled off.

Also remove the clamp holding the cable.

With stator off it's easy to remove the rest of the damaged screw (y)

View attachment 1010844
Awesome. So I'd drilled the screw down some, to the point where you don't see a head on it. I was hoping the stator would have just popped off after that, but didn't. I was hesitant to apply much force pulling the stator up, as I wasn't sure if it were actually threaded to the cover or something of the sort.

But basically, If i do the following steps

1. ground the head of the screw down well
  2. remove the clamp

I should be able to pull the stator up off of the screw, and then twist the screw out from there?

again, thanks for all of your help. I'd had a damaged engine cover on my other R1, and that sucked... so I'm really trying to do my due diligence in understanding how it's attached so as not to screw that up.

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,026 Posts
Sorry for late reply..
Just realised we could talk about different things so i have to check with you..

The stator is hold to the bearing housing by the three screws on the "inside", (orange in the attached pic) not the once from the outside (like in the OPs first picture).

The screws from the outside hold the bearing housing (blue in the pic) which is press fitted to the cover so removing them won't help.

Auto part Axle part Automotive engine part Vehicle brake Transmission part

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for late reply..
Just realised we could talk about different things so i have to check with you..

The stator is hold to the bearing housing by the three screws on the "inside", (orange in the attached pic) not the once from the outside (like in the OPs first picture).

The screws from the outside hold the bearing housing (blue in the pic) which is press fitted to the cover so removing them won't help.

View attachment 1010845
Awesome. I appreciate you being thorough. We are indeed talking about the same thing. (Although I did take those other three screws out as well) I plan to give another go at it this morning. I've ground down the stripped screw pretty well, but it seems that it will still take some force to pull the stator away from the cover, and slide it past that stripped and ground screw.

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,026 Posts
Thanks.
I swaped to an upgraded rotor and put in new bearings a couple of weeks ago and the stator came off very easy so i couldn't imagine this would put up any difficulties..
Sorry for that..

As you mentioned, worst case would be if the screwthreads grip in to some of the steel plates..
Pulling to hard on the stator could rip the plates apart.

I'd start by making some kind of hook tool which can be inserted through the stator center hole and try to pull up on the same side as the broken screw is located..

If that doesn't work a more violent approach would be taking a hacksaw and cut of most of the cover until only stator and bearing housing remain, then you should be able to push off the stator from underneath..

Line art Text Font Drawing Auto part

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks.
I swaped to an upgraded rotor and put in new bearings a couple of weeks ago and the stator came off very easy so i couldn't imagine this would put up any difficulties..
Sorry for that..

As you mentioned, worst case would be if the screwthreads grip in to some of the steel plates..
Pulling to hard on the stator could rip the plates apart.

I'd start by making some kind of hook tool which can be inserted through the stator center hole and try to pull up on the same side as the broken screw is located..

If that doesn't work a more violent approach would be taking a hacksaw and cut of most of the cover until only stator and bearing housing remain, then you should be able to push off the stator from underneath..

View attachment 1010846

Awesome. Thanks! I finally got it off. I just dremeled it down and really ground and polished it. It took a bit of force to make it pop up... but after that, it just slid right off.

I appreciate all of your help! Any suggestions in getting the stator wires out of the air filter box?

Reactions: Ozzian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well can answer it myself after reading around..
3min with a heatgun and turned it around and just fell out.. now waiting it to cool so i can get the bearing out

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts