Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A stupid question. With all the technology on the R1 from ABS to TC, and Slide Control. Could Yamaha or another company make a steering assist?? Example if you start to slide, the handlebars will automatically countersteer...

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Thats what i was thinking, i still know guys who have this attitude towards bikes with abs and TC
I have this attitude about traction control. If I'm going so hard that I need a computer to keep my tire from breaking loose then I'm going too hard for the street! If it's on a track that might be different. ABS is cool, but too expensive and it makes home-maintenance hard from what I've heard.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
A stupid question. With all the technology on the R1 from ABS to TC, and Slide Control. Could Yamaha or another company make a steering assist?? Example if you start to slide, the handlebars will automatically countersteer...
Wait... So you want a computer to be able to turn the handlebars for you, without your input?? What are you going to do if it thinks you need to turn and actually you don't.... and then you turn into oncoming traffic....and then you die...?

· Build Quality Police
923 Posts
I don't know your definition of "steering assist", but there is already a plug-in electronic aftermarket steering damper that will adjust itself depending on what you currently do with the bike. It's not going to steer the bike, but it will hopefully stop the bike from steering itself off the road...

If you are desperate to get something that actively steers the bike, ask Yamaha to do something with the electronic power steering that they have already got in snowmobiles and ATV's.

· WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,626 Posts
I can understand the whole TC debate... Even more so with the ABS for "racing" debate... But electronically controlled steering? What? You want to look like Marquez without the training, core muscles, and God given talent? :dundun:

Steering Assist would make for some serious elbow/shoulder/hands-free lean angles and photos... :crash

Throw in some anti-rectum while you're at it :hammer:

· My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
It's funny how some people are making a joke of this topic when wheelie control, quickshifting, auto blipper, slide control, anti lock brake, never get a flat, slipper clutch, reactive steering dampers, ecu flash and such are common technology this day and age. There is a limit on if the rear is spinning and the bikes lean is too great, down you will go. A simple deviced arm pulling or pushing on the triple with decreased wheel spin by the ecu should make everything better for a novice. Im sure a computer would be able to do this better then our minds can. I just installed the auto blipper last season and the thing is crazy. It physically spin the throttle to produce a perfect blip every time. After experiencing something like that, nothing is impossible to me when it come to motorcycle technology. Would I want something like that, probably not but I used to say the same think about the qs, and auto blipper.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.