Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My R1 eats my paycheck
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent track day I noticed my steering bearings were loose. I couln't find a spanner anywhere for it so I tryed to tighten them up abit by tapping the lower nut with a screw driver. The ply seems to be gone now,but when i hold the front brake and compress the forks I get a ''clunk-clunk'':confused: I checked the torque for the triple clamp.
I actually looked at the top bearing and it looked fine. Any ideas?
Where can I get a spanner wrench for this?

Thanx
Kevin

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
they are still loose. You can ask your dealer to order one for you, they should have the part number handy. They arent that expensive.

Also, if you are going to use the hammer/screwdiver method, you should remove the top triple clamp. Then you can loosen the top spanner nut and then tighten the bottom one. Support the front end and make sure it doesnt bind when turning the bars left to right. Oh yea, you might have to tap the triple clamp to get it to fit back over the forks so use a hammer and block of wood so as not to damage the finish.

·
2 wheels are better than 4.
1,548 Posts
DO NOT use a hammer with a screwdriver! You will be replacing the nuts way too often. My trick is the rubber mallet and the open-end wrench. I use the wrench because it still has the ability to catch the notches but is not sharp enough to cut into the aluminum. JMHO :beer .

I really should break down and buy the damn wrench though. Things are much easier when you have the proper tools :lol .

·
My R1 eats my paycheck
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: ??????

stan UKR1rider said:
How did you see the top bearing without stripping the top fork yoke off???
I took the triple clamp,both nuts and the dust shield off.

·
'nuff sed
1,085 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat as you kkameny. Recent track day and now looseness. Haven't done anything about it but now I know what to do. Thanks KD77 and all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts