Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
www.cycleposers.com
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my r1 from the shop after the shop adjusted my valves.

They told me that my head bearings were loose. I can't tell, it seems normal to me. But they said it just might need tightening. They also said that if that does not fix it, I am going to need new bearings. They said it would be 4 hours of labor to install new bearings.

Does that sound normal?

Is tightening the head bearings something a novice could do? What is required? Any special tools?

·
wheres the aux rev limiter?
882 Posts
Well from what I can tell you would need to remove the triple clamp, then there is a nut, kinda like a spanner nut, Yamaha most likely makes a special tool to fit this nut, then it would be a matter of either re-packing the bearings if there not sealed or just putting new bearings in, and of course you would need a tourque wrench, also theres a tab washer on the nut to lock it in place, if you look under the triple clamp you can see the nut clearly, I would recomend a front stand (in cooperation with a rear stand) and a service manual , probably want to order a new tab washer too jus to have it.

·
My R1 eats my paycheck
246 Posts
37doc said:
Well from what I can tell you would need to remove the triple clamp, then there is a nut, kinda like a spanner nut, Yamaha most likely makes a special tool to fit this nut, then it would be a matter of either re-packing the bearings if there not sealed or just putting new bearings in, and of course you would need a tourque wrench, also theres a tab washer on the nut to lock it in place, if you look under the triple clamp you can see the nut clearly, I would recomend a front stand (in cooperation with a rear stand) and a service manual , probably want to order a new tab washer too jus to have it.
What about the bottom bearing?

·
wheres the aux rev limiter?
882 Posts
service manual, there are two bearings upper, and yes lower, when you get the upper one off it should be somewhat self explanatory at that point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts