Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 R1 that I use at the track and I have the STM installed since 2009. During a recent track day, the clutch would not allow any engine breaking whatsoever. The following day, the clutch started slipping during acceleration, as if it were a normal clutch wearing out.

I removed the clutch and it appears that the pressure plates on the front and back have worn down. There is a groove all around the circumference. I did not measure it, but I would say about 1/32 deep. I am pretty positive that the pressure plates had a perfectly smooth surface originally.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is there a remedy? Unfortunately, I could not find anyone that sells spare parts for these things. Any and all help would be appreciated.

· For no ma'am
2,615 Posts
I have an '05 R1 that I use at the track and I have the STM installed since 2009. During a recent track day, the clutch would not allow any engine breaking whatsoever. The following day, the clutch started slipping during acceleration, as if it were a normal clutch wearing out.

I removed the clutch and it appears that the pressure plates on the front and back have worn down. There is a groove all around the circumference. I did not measure it, but I would say about 1/32 deep. I am pretty positive that the pressure plates had a perfectly smooth surface originally.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is there a remedy? Unfortunately, I could not find anyone that sells spare parts for these things. Any and all help would be appreciated.
The clutch plates need replacing obviously. but also check for any excess wear on the parts, deep groves, cracks, etc. Baskets do wear out too.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely, I plan on swapping out the friction and steel plates. My main worry is the wear on the pressure plates. The main St website has a section for replacement parts, but it does not have pricing. All the US dealers only show full clutches, no parts. Is there anywhere that I can get parts pricing?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
***UPDATE***

I have tried to contact STM twice with no response from them. Until I hear back, I have gone back to stock with all new clutch parts. Hopefully, I don't kill myself the first time I go into turn one and forget to ease the clutch out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.