Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· fly by wire
1,288 Posts
i haven't head any head shake on my 07 with the stock damper and i've pushed it fairly hard on the street. i do plan on replacing it this spring with an adjustable one from ohlins though. :scoots:

· No doot aboot it eh?
1,542 Posts
Stock one is fine but I replaced mine with an Ohlins because I like the adjustability.

· Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
I was slapped 3 times in one ride, off my 996SPS duke onto my new 05 R1 with all the pipe PC mods...etc...and she slapped me silly when I gassed her out of corners...

Dump the stock item, it's barely usable...Ohlins is the way to go.....you'll feel the difference from the word go...

· Have you killed a cat today ?
9,940 Posts
How good/safe is the stock R1 damper? Does it need to be replaced? How much is this bike likely to head shake?
I mostly use my 07 for road riding but the few times I had it on the track (at a moderate pace) it held up quite good.

It depends on your needs, the tracks you ride and how fast a pace your aiming at. If your looking at mostly tracks it will be good to get an adjustable aftermarket damper.

That is just my two cents, hope you get the advice you need.

You can always ask sss1 ... he'll probably post and call me a troll. But he is an absolute genius and knows everything, especially about dampers even though he is 25 and rides a 99 R1 ... shows you the intellect hey.

okay ignore the above ... I'm done now. :crash

· Premium Member
39,036 Posts
actually have my ohlins set at the lightest setting as I like the free feeling. I just want it there so that a big tankslapper doesn't take me out. This is basically what the stock damper does as well. IMO yamis have always had a very good balance and the least tendency to tankslap.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The '99 R1 power wise kicks the shit out of the current R1 even with $2k in pipes and mods....the torque is 10lbs greater at the same rpm, it was powerwise the ultimte street bike....the rest of the bike was not so hot. I needed a complete suspesion over haul and it turned like a boat.

· Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
The '99 R1 power wise kicks the shit out of the current R1 even with $2k in pipes and mods....the torque is 10lbs greater at the same rpm, it was powerwise the ultimte street bike....the rest of the bike was not so hot. I needed a complete suspesion over haul and it turned like a boat.

mm..don't agree, my mate had the 98 and 99 R1, raced both, both had Ackro slip ons with filter...etc...we had a run on the freeway against my race prepped 05 R1, my avatar pic....

And the 05 CREAMED the 99 from pull away, roll on to topend...it left it for dead. I mean, we swapped bikes and he popped her in 3rd at 160km/h and left me for dead till over 200, then once down he just blew me away...even he was shocked at the difference....:jump

Will agree with you on the suspension, the 99 is a dog, especially if you still running stock items, you going to fight her in the corners but fit the right kit and she'll handle like a dream...:boobies

· Registered
219 Posts
I have only run the stock damper on my 07 but from what I hear, here or everyhere for that matter is get an aftermarket one. Pretty much all of the aftermarket ones are supposed to be very good. Going to be one of my next mods.

· Registered
69 Posts
aftermarket is better but you can mod your stock one too

I think the best way to go is the Ohlins if you have the extra cash and a damper is the top mod you want to do to make yourself smile. If you just want a reliable damper however the stock one is functional...it's just not adjustable.

Personally I will buy an Ohlins in the future but I have a few more things I want to do first, so I saved the $300 I'd have spent on a damper and instead dropped $5 for some heavier fork oil and changed out the stock damper oil to get a stiffer damper out of it. It was easy and took only 15 minutes to do. My suggestion to you is to do the same if you want a stiffer damper until you've got the other goodies that you want. Hope this helps.

· Custom User Title
1,450 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentions the hyperpro rsc dampers. I ran that model on my 03 r1 & it saved my ass more than once.....one time from a big crash that I still recall vividly. I plan to put another hyperpro on my 04 when I pick it up next weekend.

· No Comment ...
1,708 Posts
dropped $5 for some heavier fork oil and changed out the stock damper oil to get a stiffer damper out of it.
Did the same thing on my 06. I had some left over 40wt. shock oil and thought, what the hell, gave it a shot. I've only got 2 trackdays and 6000 miles on the R1 but i've never had any slapping. This has to be the best cheap mod i can think of.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting about the oil mod on the steering damper...where does the oil come in and out? As to the '99 R1 vs a newer one, that's curious. The torque curve on the '99 shows 10 lbs more at about the same rpm around 5k. This is a huge difference. Mine would kick ass right off the line and the thrust was incredible. My 07 is a total dog until about 7k rpm which doesn't happen until you are going 40 in first at least. I am very curious to see how much a full system and a -2 sproket help this problem. There is a great article on the R1s in Bike Magazine right now. Talks about the 2000 R1 as the ultimate R1 for the street, it wasn't trying to be a race bike but the ultimate street bike

· R is for Respect
49 Posts
The ohlins is a good unit..... (I had the ohlins damper on my last bike...)

But --- the Ohlins does not have an 'intelligent' circuit in the oil flow.... its either tight or loose. In the event of a major slapper, the ohlins DOES NOT tighten up any more than its current setting. (my opinion being....the Ohlins is still better than stock and a great unit....)

If you want a damper that you can be set on its loosest setting AND tighten up in the case of a slapper.....

GPR, Scotts/Ohlins rotary damper, Hyperpro RSC, etc. etc.

(they sort of work like a front fork Gold Valve but in the opposite way, when the rate of slap changes.... a different firmer damping rate comes in, unlike the Gold Valve in which a softer rate comes in at high-speed damping)

I've owned the Scotts Rotary on my Honda 954RR....it was an awesome unit. (and designed by Ohlins mind you...)

· anything on two wheels
1,890 Posts
Adjustability is the key. replaced it with the Ohlins Right off. You'll appreciate being able to crank it up on track day. Remember, your steering damper is controlling the head which in turn controlls the whole bike. I've never installed an Ohlins steering damper without being amazed at how much it hooks up the whole ride.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.