Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Track Junkie
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who live in a cold weather state, what steps do you do to prep your bike for storage? In the past I have just taken the battery out, put some stabalizer in the fuel, and tried to start the bike every couple weeks. Is there anything else that is necessary to ensure our babies stay nice n healthy over the winter??? ;)

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
Thats pretty much what I do. I start them up about every 2 weeks and let them get good and hot (also ride them around the block a few times)...

- BA

·
ALL THIS MODS GETS ME BROKE:(
3,318 Posts
stabil, oil change, clean the bike well, and tell her you will see her again in spring.
and as for flat spots i got some wood crates i took from soda wholesale place and roll the bike in there.Don't leave no flat spots.

·
shoots! scores!!
1,217 Posts
disconnect the battery and bring it inside.

if you can, grease at least the throttle and clutch cables. if you want, grease everything that needs greasing.

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
Were just getting into the best time of the year to ride. :fact
No more sweating my ass off. I've been looking forward to winter getting here. Now, it will start to feel comfortable with gear on.
As for getting the bike ready for the winter months it sounds like
the other posts about cover it. I'm glad we don't have to do that
down here. :p

·
ALL THIS MODS GETS ME BROKE:(
3,318 Posts
jonny toe tags said:
how does this "wood crate" idea work???
I'm interested
A friend of mine who works for a yamie deler told me that the wood flex according to the weight of the bike and not to leave a flat spot on the tire. Not my theory but it works for me:dunno

·
Farkin' hero blobs!
1,272 Posts
Rear stand, rotate front wheel once i a while, drain carbs, keep battery on self monitoring charger. Stored in heated garage.

Wash before and change oil and filter if nessesary.

·
Track Junkie
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:cool:

Thanks for the tips guys!!!

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
Drain the gas, un-hook battery, and store on stands in spare bedroom w/ cover. Get it out over X-Mas and run it for 30 mins or so, and re-drain non-used gas.

BTW, it is just me, so I don't have to worry about kids knocking it over or anything like that.....

It would stay in the garage all winter, but it is not big enuf for it and my suburban, and i don't like to sit on cold ass leather in the morning when i leave for work. bad enuf I have to park my car outside in the summer.......

Damn 1 car apartment garages.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts