Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
04ARE1
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished a track day at Pocono on the east course and I noticed that I have some unusual wear on the right ride of the tire. These were a brand new set of pilot power race's. I ran the back between 26-28 psi trying to get a feel for them. I am guessing since there are only a few right turns that the right side just isnt getting up to the right temperature and it is tearing the tire. Should I drop the rear tire pressure?, get some tire warmers?, are these tires ruined? Thanks for any info

Attachments

·
04ARE1
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So is this tearing of the right side just because its not getting up to temperature. There are like bands of rubber on the right side that are pretty evenly spaced out. I rode on the street for 20-30 miles so some of the bands are worn off. There is definetly a differance between the left and right though

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
if its rolling fine, I wouldnt worry, just run the right pressures that are recommended....dont see the point in running DOTs on the wrong pressures...they are pretty sensitive to diff tmps. Get warmers if your using DOTs as well...btw, tape your weights for others please :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
A constant strip around the tire (of tearing) can be attributed to compression, while intermittent patches of tearing is rebound. Also, I would try warmers and se if it wa sjust cold tearing. However, the first thing I would do is lower your pressure. You are running way to high. The PR rear should be around 22 PSI

·
04ARE1
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
R6PIMP said:
you need to have your suspension adjusted for your weight and put 23pounds in the rear
I'm definetly going to lower the pressure and see if that helps. It just didnt seem right to me running 22-23 pounds. As far as suspension goes i have an Ohlins PRXLS in the rear sprung to my weight , the forks are resprung and revalved for my weight. If it was the suspension settings then wouldn't I have this pattern of tearing on both sides of the tire?

Thanks

·
585 Posts
There's only 2 right hand turns on that track if I recall, one is a low speed hair pin, the other I would hardly even call a turn. I would imagine the tire isn't heated up enough on that side.

That track is rough as hell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts