Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Protected By GLOCK
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am thinking of getting a second bike this winter/spring and would like to either get a street legal enduro or a supermoto. My question is does anybody have a WR450 that they have legalized, i rode one on the dirt and my arms almost got pulled off. I want to get something for riding about town and on some ruff stuff, in Milwaukee you can drive for half an hour and be in farm land.

·
Local Pavement Ripper
1,670 Posts
As far as i know here in Iowa it would take a lot to make it street legal. I believe you need a metal gas tank. Check with your local laws to see what it would require. Don't forget the signals and DOT tires.

Chad

·
Old, fat and slow
1,931 Posts
That's my winter project for my YZ426. It's going to street legal for next summer.

Baja Designs sells a kit for like $500 that has everything needed to make your bike street legal. The same kit fits my bike, but I have to add some electrical systems that'll run me another $500 or so. Your bike already has all of that.

The next thing you need is new rims to handle the different sizes of street tires - unless you want to just use trials type tires. Those will fit on your stock rims.

New Excel rims and spokes will run you about $1,000 or so.

That's it! Then you're ready to whup up on some '04 R1's in the twisties:D

Eric

PS - www.bajadesigns.com

·
Protected By GLOCK
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info

·
My insurance eats me...
245 Posts
Another thing you will want to do is get a cush-drive rear hub. Running a dirt bike on the road without one is bad on your tranny (or so I've heard) because of the increse in driveline lash.

·
Until it sleeps
5,432 Posts
battles2a5 said:
Another thing you will want to do is get a cush-drive rear hub. Running a dirt bike on the road without one is bad on your tranny (or so I've heard) because of the increse in driveline lash.
Can you explain some more?

·
YZF-R1 Yamaha
291 Posts
battles2a5 said:
Where can you get a cush-drive for those rims?

·
I am Evil Homer
1,628 Posts
I've seen a street legal CR450F that was pretty sick. A big problem for the 450 was the electrics. It had none on the bike originally, so he rigged up a battery for the headlight/tailight/turnsignals. He also chromed it out. The guy couldn't ride worth a damn though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts