Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this point anything i attempt to mess with on the bike turns into some sort of a problem, that 1. will either take few days to resolve or 2. cost me arm and leg to fix.

To make the story short, during the time my bike was at the friends garage (while the new 01 motor was being put together, carb cleaning incident on a 99) the rear tire mananged to get this huge *&% nail in it! Btw it was a brand new 180 Dunlop, Luckily i have a set of brand new Metzlers. I wanted to powdercoat the wheels for the longest time so i put the bike on the stand and remove front/rear wheel. And..... once i started removing the siezed, rusted, brake rotor bolts two on one rotor stripped and 1 on the other rotor. So now i'm officially fugged again.. The correct tools were used, good rachet, strong quality 6mm hex socket, applied wd40 first etc.. plus this damn things have loctite if i remember correctly.. any ideas on what to do??? I really dont want to torch the damn thing and ruin the finish of the rotor, or grind it off (again possible damage, then even more work to re-thread)

Pls help guys.. any ideas on what to do next?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes, they are loctited on. You need to heat the rim a bit to loosen the loctite. Don't torch it, just warm it up - and not the rotor & bolt, the rim metal the bolt goes into. This will expand the metal around the bolt and soften the loctite. Then use impact tools to back the bolt out - so long as the head isn't completely messed up. Or take the wheel to your favorite shop, beg forgiveness, then ask for help.

Good luck,

-Joe

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehehee thanks for the heads up.. yep i think thats what are we going to do.. the thread is pretty damn messed up.. soo we'll heat up first and if that all fails then i guess machine shop it is and my pocket on its way to get raped once again.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
you must have walked under a ladder or crossed a black cat, unbelievable bad luck. so here: GOOD LUCK!:thumbup

·
Camshaft
281 Posts
Drill the head of the bolt off. Use bit one or two sizes larger than the diameter of the bolt. When you are far enough the head of the bolt will fall off. Without the head of the bolt the disk will come off. Now heat up whats left of the bolt and try to get a good grip with vice grips. This should be a last resort however. I had to actually weld a piece of steel to the broken end of a bolt before, good luck...:(

·
LoneRone
773 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with the peg bolts on my 02', I busted out the dremel tool cut a straight slot on the heads and took em out with a flat blade socket on a ratchet, good luck bro!!

Joe

·
LoneRone
773 Posts
Not to jack your thread bro, but has anyone else had problems with this with more bolts on their one? My heelgaurd bolts stripped as well, is it just because theyre cheap? All instances where this happened the correct size allens were used and I still had no luck, i replaced all the crap with regular socket head caps and had no problem.

Joe

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
honestly i dont know what it is!! Must be poor quality is all i could come up with. On my particular bike they had never been taken off before, i usd the correct tools and the proper way. Its just that the bolt simply did not hold up for jack, the 6mm alen bit was totally fine not a scratch on it. I really did not need to take the rotors off but since i wanted wheels powdercoated i have to. My friends are telling me thats what you get for fuggin with it too much.. those bolts are designed to be taken off to replace the damn rotors.. mine didnt need replacing but i'm sure at one point they will need to be changed... once i take this shit off i'm getting SS replacements bolts from racebolts.com.. i'm pretty sure their stuff will hold up at least a bit better.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
This has nothing to do with quality,but more with inexperienced people :)

Sorry to say that,but its the sad truth.

Most of the time when a bolt which is "loktited" on something that you cant/dont want to use a propane torch on it,you got to sacrifice a little bit of your hex socket finish in order to get the bolts out easily (or so).

I mean,you put the insert in the bolts heads and whack them with a hammer a couple of times very straight.

Then you insert the ratchet in the socket,the hex bit back in the bolt head and turn to find the end of the slack (I can expalin this a bit further if you dont understand what I mean) then slowly apply pressure on/off/on/off and so on to start with...they all give up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
martinc, could be inexperience but i had a friend do it who did not hammer them in first so this could be why. I'm just upset that i'm stuck with more work now and hopefully before the weekend will find a way to take the damn fuggers out

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Nobody should be mad at being inexperienced...I"m still inexperienced in a lot of fields concerning bikes myself;the allusion to the inexperience was since I"ve been doing mech tech for 21 years now,the trick is that I dont want to know if its free or easy or hard;I just hammer them a couple of times from the get go :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts