Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
no mo jibba jabba foo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace my old battery with a new one but the positive terminal bolt is stripping out and I cant seem to get the darn thing out of there. Does anyone have any idea's on how to get it out?!? I dont want it to explode from beating the crap out of it so I'm open to suggestions..I know some of you guys must have an idea so please help if you can..Thanks..

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
martinc said:
If you can slide a flat blade screwdriver under the nut,and if a wee bit of screw is protruding out,by applying pressure to the bolt tip you might just be able to unscrew it.
Of course it's only lead, so it's fairly soft, you should be able to drill it if you are careful.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
martinc said:
Actually,they are steel,plated with copper,then plated with zinc or some like that.
??????

Really, i guess i had not looked at mine. When did they change this?
They used to always be lead to prevent electrochemical problems since the plates were lead.

last battery i bought had lead, but that was a few yaers ago.

But then again, just bought one for a buddies old GS750, and they are lead, what gives?

·
G Addict
2,851 Posts
There are different terminal/fastener combinations, the most common being lead terminals with coated steel or coated copper fasteners.
Disconect the ground at the motor and disconnect the hot at the starter selinoid. Pull the complete mess from the bike.
Make sure you dont short the wires together or ground to the frame/motor. Tape the exposed ends to be safe. If ones already disconnected then its even better.
If it has the lead type terminals you can crush the lead with visegrips or channel locks onto the nut enough to remove the bolt. If not, you can take some large dykes/cutters and just cut the terminal off and then grab the nut.
If the posts are coated steel or copper it will now be easier to deal with the connections away from the bike.
From there you should be ok.
If you cant figure it out from there and start looking for the hammer, call a buddy to form a think tank to come up with a strategy.
If that doest work take it to a shop. If that doesnt work go find that hammer .:p
Remember to wear eye protection and dont get the acid on anything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts