Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Double R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got an old 2003 R1 project. Had to strip the rear subframe/tail frame off it for welding and found one of the four mounting bolts was totally stripped out to the point I literally pulled it out with my bare hands.

Now that I have the frame back I need to know what is my best option? My common judgement tells me that a heli coil is best, instead of tapping and threading the aluminum for a larger bolt, so that way the balance isn't throw off side to side (even if it's a couple grams from a larger bolt).

I've never used a heli coil before as well so it's kind of new to my new toolset, but I understand the concepts

Also who would want to see a progress thread as I turn an old, ghetto beater looking, $600 2003 R1 into something that is worth riding?

· go go juice gonna make me win
1,068 Posts
helicoil may be the easiest, but it's def not the best. i guess in some applications it may be good enough, but helicoil break and wear out and need to replaced. i just had this issue a few weeks ago, ended up researching and went with the time sert. if money isn't prohibitive, this is definitely the best, most permanent fix; well, besides completely re-tapping. i'd do that before re-tapping just so u can use existing hardware, but that may not be a big issue for your application. for a subframe, though, i wouldn't trust helicoil.

and i wouldn't worry about balance. i would bet anything that there isn't a single bike on the road that's exactly balanced as it is, a thicker bolt or time sert or anything like that won't make a difference.

· My R1 eats my $.
549 Posts
I'm having to do this on mine. I was ready to do a tap for a larger bolt, but my mechanic friend strongly recommended the time-sert which I have used before and have a lot of faith in. This should be the one you need if the 03 also uses the m10x1.25 bolt. http://www.mechanicstoolsandbits.co...t-p-143.html?gclid=CJ-d1b2_rcUCFREoaQod04UAJA

Or you can buy my kit from me when I am done. There will be 1 insert left when I am done with it this weekend.

· Double R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to say my preference would be the time sert over the heli coil too, got that mixed up. Guess that's how I'll be fixing it.

Maverick, after I check with a local guy to see if he has the kit for it will I be able to let you know about taking your kit and time sert off your hands. I should only need one so that would work great.
On second thought, I should check the thread wear on the remaining frame bolts as i might as well do it now.

Here's my rear subframe back from getting straightened and welded. If I wasn't on a budget with this bike I would replace this but it's still useable in my eyes.

· Double R
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This. Duh. And lots of pics. :thumbup

Haha I can try to get pics as I go along. I have some from the beginning through to now, still in the early progress phase. This past winter whenever I went to work on it, my phone battery would go lifeless from the cold being in an unheated shop in Canada. Then the garage it was in got completely snowed in with 5 foot banks. And only 2 weeks ago it was accessible.

· My R1 eats my $.
549 Posts
Maverick, after I check with a local guy to see if he has the kit for it will I be able to let you know about taking your kit and time sert off your hands. I should only need one so that would work great.
On second thought, I should check the thread wear on the remaining frame bolts as i might as well do it now.
Sounds good, just shoot me a PM if/when you would like purchase it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.