Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only noticed this yesterday, when I went down to the NEC Birmingham for the UK bikeshow, but when I stopped, there was a very strong smell of petrol.... comming from my R1.

It was almost as though the filler cap was open.

Anyway, on the way home we stopped at the pub for our tea and again, the same strong smell of petrol.

Got the same this morning on my commute to work. When I stop at traffic lights, the petrol smell would appear, sometimes stronger than others. Also again when I arrived at work.

So do you guys have any idea what could cause it? I'm taking it to the dealers on my way home tonight.

Cheers in advance for your help.

Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the R1 into hte dealer yesterday for them to investigate the petrol smell.

They found that the fuel pipe at the bottom of the fuel tank had come loose, and fuel was weeping out. Apperantly, the conection has a safety fixing fitted so as to prevent the fuel pipe from coming off the bottom of the tank completely, thankfully that bit had done its job.

The mechanic cant understand why the pipe has become loose, and the dealer has ordered me a new fuel pipe that will be replaced, on Tuesday next wee, under warranty.

At least its getting repaired.

Steve

·
Registered
226 Posts
great to hear it got sorted. I have to say "badly built " by dealer!!!

Useless , some of them. A friend bought a GSXR from my local suzuki/yamaha dealer and they forgot to wire the lights up. He had fun getting home!!

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
depends on the strength of the clamp. If not strong enough, the fuel will leak out and come out the left side. Had this happen to me when I was reinstalling the gas tank. I chose a clamp that held the tube but not real tight. Then the leakage occurred for me. Went a size down on the clamp, or rather the actual proper size and no more leakage. The pressure I guess is pretty high.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the dealer said the pressure is high hence the seepage of fuel.

But the bike has done almost 30,000 miles, I would have thought htta it would have leaked before now if it was down to a poor build quality?

But then why has it started leaking now?

Im confused... but glad its fixed.

steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts