Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
LIFE IS SHORT
12,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/12/05/subaru-motorcycle/#comments

Everyone keeps pointing out these stories about a Subaru motorcycle so I?ll put this up but I have zero information other than what everyone else is repeating. Yesterday, this photo was circulating everywhere and even the automotive websites covered it, must be because of the name.

A couple of weeks ago, Motorcycle News made mention of a supposedly upcoming motorcycle. It?s powered by a 50 horsepower 500cc water cooled single supplied by Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company of Subaru, and mounted in an aluminum frame made in China. The engine has been or is being used by Polaris.

The man behind the project is Kazuo Sasaki who previously tried to produce a Horex. Stories are calling this a Subaru HS500sa. Just looking at these 2 photos I notice the swingarms are different, the frame looks different, even the front fairing, too, so is this close to final form, or not?

Would Subaru make a motorcycle? Who would sell it? If this comes to market I would think it would be badged under some other name, but who would that be? The photos look like this is a running bike but it may be some early prototype so we?ll just have to wait to see if this shows up somewhere. How about Wal-Mart?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...er12-18/nov1807subarusportsbike/?&R=EPI-97081
Subaru Sportsbike

This new single-cylinder sportsbike features a Subaru-badged engine and could be on sale next year at a bargain price.

The engine for the HS500sa comes directly from Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. It?s a 499cc, water-cooled, DOHC single, originally developed to be used in quad bikes and used by Polaris. The motor is notable for its lightweight design ? it tips the scales at 43kg ? and its ability to meet American and European emissions restrictions, a vital part of Sasaki?s plan as he intends to sell the machine worldwide.
With 50bhp at 8000rpm, the motor is on a par with engines from more familiar manufacturers, and its 33lbft of torque, peaking at 7000rpm, should be enough to give the lightweight HS500sa decent acceleration.
The bike?s chassis is built in China to keep costs down. Like most of the latest Japanese sportsbikes, it?s made from cast aluminium ? although the hefty-looking frame rails look over-engineered for a 50bhp single. The swingarm is also cast aluminium, and heavily braced ? giving the look of a much more powerful bike.

Sasaki has tried to produce a single cylinder sports bike before with the Horex 644 Osca, powered by a Dominator engine. Trouble was it cost ?22,000 so never really caught on. Check out http://www.kozaru.us/horex/index.html to see the history of the motorcycle and it running in someone's garage.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.