Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have alpinestars Atem V3 and it’s considered a slim fit suit . Thinking it would fit well it seems like it’s hindering my lower body mobility . Anyone else have this issue with the Alpinestars suit ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve done a decent amount of track days in this suit. And it’s mainly getting my knee out far enough. I got a stable base and I learned to open up to the corners. But my damn knee has been the problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Redwolf, This is an issue I have always had when buying" off the shelf suits" and is why the pro's have them made to fit their body dimensions.I buy the size that is a nice fit for my hip,chest and stomach circumference measurements and have the crutch opened up, with a 2 inch wide stretch fabric piece put in.The last suit I bought ( dainese ) I also had to get lengthened by an inch as it was pulling on my shoulders when laying on the tank.If you cant move your body freely it will restrict your agility,and if your not agile on the bike your not fast.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For sure your suit can hinder body position and mobility. I had a student who was struggling with his lower body positioning and I suggested he try on one of our bigger rental suits and low and behold, the problem was fixed! That being said, there can also be some small changes in lower body positioning and how you lock-on to the bike that can alter how your knee is able to move. If you have a photo or some more details about exactly what is happening that might help diagnose the problem.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,161 Posts
Is the suit causing discomfort in the knee area? If yes, the thigh area is tightening too much causing it to feel too tight in knee area and can cause some pain....
need more room on the thigh and crotch area.....
if i am way off, then i just wasted my time typing this and everyone is now dumber after reading my post. i am sorry.

·
Venom X/O
24,202 Posts
Is the suit causing discomfort in the knee area? If yes, the thigh area is tightening too much causing it to feel too tight in knee area and can cause some pain....
need more room on the thigh and crotch area.....
if i am way off, then i just wasted my time typing this and everyone is now dumber after reading my post. i am sorry.
Na, you’re spot on with the knee. It could be the length in the leg is too short for their body as well, and it could cause some serious pressure on their kneecap making it uncomfortable as well. I had that problem with my original Alpinestars suit I bought when I first started doing track days.
It could also be the body position causing the discomfort. The suit is a race cut, and if they’re out Sunday riding it could be uncomfortable. That’s why I asked for a pic

·
Venom X/O
24,202 Posts
I thought the suit is suppose to be tight to minimize movement at high speeds and when you crash.

Leather can be broken in pretty well.
Yes, you’re correct. The issue might not be tightness, but leg / groin cut, stretch panel placement, torso length, etc which could be “tight” but hinder body movement. The suit is off the shelf, so if he has a body shape different from design he could simply have the wrong suit.
I made the switch from Alpinestars (great suit, fit well, just too short of a torso) to an RST suit which fit amazing and felt custom cut for me. I crashed that suit and a local shop let me try the Furygan suit and it was another amazing fit. He could simply need a new suit or to work in his current (sounds like it’s broken in already).

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,161 Posts
Na, you’re spot on with the knee. It could be the length in the leg is too short for their body as well, and it could cause some serious pressure on their kneecap making it uncomfortable as well. I had that problem with my original Alpinestars suit I bought when I first started doing track days.
It could also be the body position causing the discomfort. The suit is a race cut, and if they’re out Sunday riding it could be uncomfortable. That’s why I asked for a pic
Yeah, overall length of the suit legs can also tighten up.
The knee has the reinforced area so break in is slim to none.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought the suit is suppose to be tight to minimize movement at high speeds and when you crash.

Leather can be broken in pretty well.
Absolutely right Darkhorse,buying a "loose fit" suit is not recommended.That is why as I said in my previous post that I buy a size that is a firm fit" Around "my body and then spend some extra dollars Opening up and Lengthening the tight areas.Every suit I have had the crutch widening adjustment has given me free movement to put out my knee with no restrictive pressure.

·
Become one with THE ONE.
588 Posts
This suit cut very tight in leg and thigh area. I wear size 52 on most brand one brand actually needed to go down to 50. This Atem 3 was so tight that I cannot zip up leg zipper. Anthony leather added one inch by thigh and three inches by calf area to have tight fit. The advertisement about large stretch area for ease of movement is so misleading. I wonder if it is because the poor made in China quality control get some suits so out of normal size?

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,936 Posts
The advertisement about large stretch area for ease of movement is so misleading. I wonder if it is because the poor made in China quality control get some suits so out of normal size?
I think this may be a problem. The last Alpinestars suit that I bought was an Atem, I normally wear a 42 and the suit fit like a 44 or larger. Sent it back after one trackday. (fortunately I had swapped out the knee sliders before the trackday) I've had A*s suits before that fit better but their sizing seems inconsistent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
custom suits don't even cost much more than off the shelf suits. and they fit 100% better.
Hi Glassman76, I looked into a custom designed suit some years back ( Here in Aussie ) only to find they were near twice the price of a comparible" Off the Shelf suit",you may have more options where you are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

And this is where I am at now. It might be just some body tweaks and not the suit itself.

·
Venom X/O
24,202 Posts
View attachment 1015625
And this is where I am at now. It might be just some body tweaks and not the suit itself.
If I’m honest it’s gonna be body movement over the suit. You’re still pretty upright, which could be hindering a good amount of movement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts