Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Looking great! It's really good to see this bike is being put through it's paces.

Be sure to check the plates for wear, especially if you've been doing wheelies or a lot of launches, might just be time for a new stack - which you likely know.

·
GO SKERS!!
300 Posts
Looking great! It's really good to see this bike is being put through it's paces.

Be sure to check the plates for wear, especially if you've been doing wheelies or a lot of launches, might just be time for a new stack - which you likely know.
Stack height checked ok. Its been weird because it holds fine if you start from low rpm, but as you come out of fast turns higher in the rpm's it slips. I called Hinson and they recommended I try a heavier spring.

·
GO SKERS!!
300 Posts
Won my first overall race with the bike the first time I entered asphalt only. Finished 1st and 2nd in both motos. I've been mainly racing full supermoto, but I'm slow in the dirt. Been tossing around the idea of selling the WR for something more track dedicated, but the bike has been so good I haven't gotten very far in that idea. On to pictures which is more interesting.

·
GO SKERS!!
300 Posts
Won first place in both Am asphalt moto's to finish out the season.

One of the pro class riders was behind me for a lap and then went around, but here's his video.

Edit: also remembered that i weighed the bike vs a crf450 and the WR was 267.5 lbs and crf 253. Not bad difference i thought for still having electric start, battery, and full harness for lights and electronics.

·
Unacceptable
1,205 Posts
After hooning around last Sunday at a kart track, I must confess that getting stupid on a 450 sumo is more fun than my R1...in the proper environment. I've witnessed (and have been embarrassed by) good riders in the tight stuff and now I can see just why. :lol

That said I want one. :D

·
GO SKERS!!
300 Posts
Here is my yearly update.

Moved to Colorado so the bike saw a little different action all summer.

The bike is still running great. I've been fighting front end chatter that causes me to loose the tire in extreme lean at speed. Took some rebound out and seems to be better. Was considering going to a 16.5" front rim to help. More and more people are picking up Husqvarna FS450's and I just can't keep up with the power they make. Won one race in the Colorado series and then finished behind the FS's the rest of the season. Getting better in the dirt and realizing I have to pretty much only use the rear brake.

Reshimmed the valves and thinking about tuning it for race gas if I'm going to keep it another year and try to race more. Been dropping weight to be more competitive with these 140 lb riders, but the FS450's are putting down around 10 more hp than me and the races are me holeshotting them and then riding aggressive to try and hold them off all race.

Took it offroad quite a bit. The Ohlins is really fantastic on the rocky mountain passes.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
18 Participants
SBK Unlimited
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing