Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
X_Infantry
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Your running a smaller wheel & tire though Chad..

Steves kit really does wonders to realign things - Im gonna try & pull him over here as hes got Wr450SM with lots of fabrication knowledge.

I got plenty of room with no rub on my fat setup..

:flex:

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
Your running a smaller wheel & tire though Chad..

Steves kit really does wonders to realign things - Im gonna try & pull him over here as hes got Wr450SM with lots of fabrication knowledge.

I got plenty of room with no rub on my fat setup..

:flex:

that is awesome! yeah, i have the smaller rear wheel, not the 5 inch one. i think mine is a 4.25.

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
he cant help the fact that his is "smaller" than all the other guys lmao so stop picking on him!!

Maybe he'll buy a "bigger" one some day. :)

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
he cant help the fact that his is "smaller" than all the other guys lmao so stop picking on him!!

Maybe he'll buy a "bigger" one some day. :)
hahahaha, actually I honestly can't see how the bigger wheels are any better. the tires on these wheels grip like crazy!!!

·
X_Infantry
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bigger wheel = ability to run a bigger tire = more surface contact area on the road.. Or at least that what I read on the SM forums..

Plus it looks mean..:fact

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
hahahaha, actually I honestly can't see how the bigger wheels are any better. the tires on these wheels grip like crazy!!!

OHHHHHHH....... you were talking about wheels lol i just thought you were discussing "other" things sorry for the confusion.:hammer:

Yeah i like the look of the bigger wheel/tire combo as well.

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
Bigger wheel = ability to run a bigger tire = more surface contact area on the road.. Or at least that what I read on the SM forums..

Plus it looks mean..:fact
Yeah I agree with that...but it also takes a tad bit away from the handling. bigger tires don't flick as good as smaller ones.

that being said I would probably buy a larger wheel if I were to buy another set. at least 4.5 for the rear.

It does look nice! but the 160 tires do pretty darn good on the 4.25 wheels as far as hooking up. I doubt I will out perform these wheels and tires anytime soon.

·
oh [email protected]
112 Posts
I was interested in getting a WR450F but was not sure if they were street legal...what do you need to make them street legal and where can I get these rims you are all talking about to make it a supermoto bike? I am actually going to VIR this weekend to watch SEMRA guys race the mini's

·
X_Infantry
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Scoot - They are not street legal as they come with (off road title)..

State laws vary ALOT on what you need to do to the bike to get the title changed from (off road)..

CA is the hardest (not technically legal) but guys still do it all the time.. VA is probably one of the easier states..

Here are 2 cool sites with TONS of info..

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/

Im in the middle of a project - will get ya more info if your truly interested..

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
check with your local DMV to see what they require to transfer the title from off road to on road. Here in ohio it was a simple paper that needed filled out saying you made al nessesary change to the bike to make it road leagal (headlight,tail light,brake light,speedo,horn,ect) and they dont even come out to inspect the bike! but if you get stopped and its not leagle then its your butt thats on the line.

All ive done to my 04 WR450 is add 17inch wheels with street tires,320mm front brake rotor with relocation braket for the stock caliper,steel braided front line & high temp brake fluid.I changed gearing from stock 14/50 to 15/40 & it works great.I bought a brake light pressure switch and added it to the rear master cylinder and connected the wires.The rear light is already a brake light with the correct buld installed but the wire need to be run from the new switch to the tail light plug in & youve a breaklight! I have a trail tech vapor instrament setup but its currently not installed yet. I made a plate braket out of some cheap angle bracket from lowes & cut & painted it ot look nice & bolted it ot the tail light mounting bolt. I dont have a light for it but its plenty visable so i dont think ill get messed with plus i dont ride in alot at night.

Hope this helps.......NOW GO GET ONE!!!! hahaha

·
X_Infantry
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Thanks fer that help Dave,

Ebay has deals on SM Wheels - Excell is a good brand / Marchesini (of course)..

Lets see what the Godfather can do fer ya..

www.tobefast.com

And your in luck as im starting a business fabricating SM parts for Yamaha's..:rock

:thumbup :thumbup

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
sweet! we always need new suppliers of yamaha parts. Keep us posted.

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
cool. you better make plans to do the convention next year then!

Looks like we need to do a R1 Forum supermoto ride or trackday before long.

·
X_Infantry
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
These are brand new & lightness wise are probally the best for Supermoto besides a set of $3500 BST's..
Alot lighter than Excell Spoked Wheels..

http://www.tobefast.com/carrozv6-yz-450f-supermoto-kit-c-53018-p-1-pr-1739.html

This kit will save ya some major bucks bro..

# Made From 6151-T6 Aluminum/CNC Machined
# Designed for street and race track use
# Super Light Weight 7.8 lbs (front), 13.4 lbs (rear)
# Approved DOT (USA), TUV (Europe) & JWL (Japan)
# 5 Year Warranty

·
Last Minute Racing
970 Posts
sweet wheels for sure but outta my price range.

·
CANCER SUCKS
2,197 Posts
Has any one taken there bike to a track with a dirt section? I have seen lots of supermoto bikes with mag wheels i just havn't seen any one jump with them i can't imagine them lasting very long on jumps.

·
X_Infantry
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
NEVER read 1 story of Forged Supermoto wheels failing yet - under any conditions. Pro's rock them - alot of forum guys race / jump them.

BST on Yamaha 450 Streetard

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
7 Participants
Benocehcap
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing