Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

When I look at different track tests between a R1 2015 and other bikes I notice that there is not much difference in laptimes.
In this shoutout the R1 is even the fastest :
The other bikes are e.g.
BMW S1000 RR with Brembo brakes
1299S with Brembo brakes and TTX36 /NIX30 Öhlins suspension
What does this say ?
The R1 2015 doesn't need suspension/brake upgrade because the standard KYB suspension en Nissin brakes are already good enough ?
Why should I go for a suspension/brake upgrade on the R1 when other bikes with already these upgrades on board have the same laptimes ?

I know the above shootout is just one particular test but I assume in other shoutouts on other tracks the laptimes will all be close among the different bikes
Thanks for the info !

1605802989305.png

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi guys,

When I look at different track tests between a R1 2015 and other bikes I notice that there is not much difference in laptimes.
In this shoutout the R1 is even the fastest :
The other bikes are e.g.
BMW S1000 RR with Brembo brakes
1299S with Brembo brakes and TTX36 /NIX30 Öhlins suspension
What does this say ?
The R1 2015 doesn't need suspension/brake upgrade because the standard KYB suspension en Nissin brakes are already good enough ?
Why should I go for a suspension/brake upgrade on the R1 when other bikes with already these upgrades on board have the same laptimes ?

I know the above shootout is just one particular test but I assume in other shoutouts on other tracks the laptimes will all be close among the different bikes
Thanks for the info !

View attachment 1016472
We are looking at one single best lap time. It doesn’t mean that much. Maybe the rider is very experienced on R1s and the other bikes were less familiar. Maybe that lap time came at the expense of almost crashing where the other lap times came easy. Conditions of tires and bike set-up? Was the track temperature the same all day? Was this track really smooth or bumpy—how would that suspension work at a different track?

For me, even if I could do the same lap time with stock suspension vs Ohlins, I can tell you from experience that it’s a much nicer ride and more adjustable than stock. Having fun is as important/more important than lap times.

With that said, you are always better off spending money on track time and training than on expensive mods. Some people spend money on both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
100% additional track time > additional parts.

Very few riders exceed the limits of stock parts, especially on newer bikes. I would spend money on New Pirelli Slicks long before any brakes or shocks. (125/70/17 SC1{Front} & 200/65/17 SC0 {Rear})

Those tires made the biggest change for me personally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts