Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I am the new owner of a track setup 2013 Yamaha R1 after totaling my street bike at the track at Jennings. I took my bike out for 2 days at the track and it could not hold a tight line for anything all weekend, unlike my Honda CBR1000RR. Come to find out it has a lowering link on it so it's raked in a weird way so no wonder.

My question is, based on these pictures should I mess with the front suspension height at all? I was told that the preload has been adjusted and that it's raised all the way, but I am unsure. I have already ordered an OEM dogbone to get the R1 back to stock height also. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

·
Unacceptable
1,220 Posts
My question is, based on these pictures should I mess with the front suspension height at all? I was told that the preload has been adjusted and that it's raised all the way, but I am unsure.
Any uncertainty about suspension settings should be referred to a suspension shop, preferably in your area (if you have one nearby). It's kind of difficult for others to perform in-depth diagnostics over the internet esp. when we have no idea of your riding style/technique, track layout, tire preference, etc. Replacing that aftermarket dogbone with the stock link is a good start though. Good luck and keep up posted on what improvements you make!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@KevinT707 did you get that link?
Yes, I got that link but have decided to try mastering the bike with the stock dog bone instead.

Any uncertainty about suspension settings should be referred to a suspension shop, preferably in your area (if you have one nearby). It's kind of difficult for others to perform in-depth diagnostics over the internet esp. when we have no idea of your riding style/technique, track layout, tire preference, etc. Replacing that aftermarket dogbone with the stock link is a good start though. Good luck and keep up posted on what improvements you make!
That makes sense. The suspension is definitely a lot more firm than stock, and now that it has a stock dog bone it handles so much better; it raised the height by 1". Perhaps not as agile as my 08' CBR1000RR, but still much better!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you located OP..?? someone could point you in the right direction.
I live in Marietta, GA, which is also the same city that houses Opie Caylor's moto-shop. He set the suspension for this bike for a guy that weighs the same as me. It seems to feel stable so far. I'm not trying to win races or anything so I'm content for now.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wow I'm near Lawrenceville, you going to Road Atlanta anytime?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow I'm near Lawrenceville, you going to Road Atlanta anytime?
I've got a weekend at Jennings at the end of this month, Barber (w/ STT) early June, and then Road ATL (w/ PRE) in July. I wouldn't mind doing Road ATL again in the Fall either. What group do you ride in?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm in intermediate. I'll see what my race schedule looks like and get back to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts