Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to do a full thorough suspension adjustment on my R1, because it feels too stiff when riding (I think, still newish to riding). I weigh 160lb. I'll set the Spring Preload all the way to the softest setting possible. Pull the bike up to get any sort of tension off the springs, and I'll go and sit on the bike and get into riding position with my legs on the pegs and in a semi-tucked position as if I'm riding. I'll carefully get off the bike and check out the zip-tie to see how much it's fallen. This is what's baffling, it's only 1/8 of an inch down....... Huh? As for all the other settings, I haven't gotten to setting those yet but I temporarily have them at the manuals suggested "Standard" settings.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have seen a ton of his videos. I don't think he really gets into talking about this specific issue though, I could be wrong but I haven't seen a video from him tackling something like this. Most of his video you have to pay for though, you only get previews of what you could pay for and actually learn lol. So idk, thanks though.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to just change the suspension oil and maybe go with slightly less than what's in there now, idk I'll figure that out when I get to that point. I need to buy some Yamaha M1 oil though (Service manual recommends). I just have no idea how much I need to buy... If I google Yamaha M1 suspension oil, I can't tell how much is in those cans. Idk do I buy 1, buy 2 of those, anyone have an idea?

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I'm unsure. The bike's got 32k miles on it, just bought it a few months back. I know it used to see the track with one of the prior owners, who was also a motorcycle mechanic. I'm going to call him up and see if he knows more about the forks.

· Premium Member
2012 YZF - R1
117 Posts
so what it sounds like is you are checking "sag" while looking for suspension performance.

the idea behind the "zip-tie" is during riding; especially braking, the G-force your suspension goes through is at least 2, around 3 if you are competent. during braking going into the turn, you want to maximize how much your suspension is able to "Work" meaning the zip ties should be as close to the bottom of your suspension travel as possible, effectively utilizing 90% of your suspension" you want to leave a safe distance from 100% as if you ever reach that and suddenly bottom out, your suspension will become suddenly unstable.

but sitting on the bike and checking where it is measures "sag" this is a different measurement entirely.

with a 160lb rider, just set everything to minimum and enjoy your bike. after about 10 track days go to the local track tuner so you actually have something to discuss.

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm wanting to do a full thorough suspension adjustment on my R1, because it feels too stiff when riding (I think, still newish to riding). I weigh 160lb. I'll set the Spring Preload all the way to the softest setting possible. Pull the bike up to get any sort of tension off the springs, and I'll go and sit on the bike and get into riding position with my legs on the pegs and in a semi-tucked position as if I'm riding. I'll carefully get off the bike and check out the zip-tie to see how much it's fallen. This is what's baffling, it's only 1/8 of an inch down....... Huh? As for all the other settings, I haven't gotten to setting those yet but I temporarily have them at the manuals suggested "Standard" settings.
what year is it? and why do you think it needs to be softer? I'm riding the 2022 r1. i put 2000 mi on it now and when i got it new it was preset from the factory for 180 pound rider. and feels very similar to my 2017 R6. when riding the R1 it feels stiff , but that is the way you kind of want it. because when you role on 3rd and 4th gear giving lots of power you feel the ass end dip a little. that's when you know its right. I'm 42 years old and have been riding for 23 years on these bikes. if you make the bike to soft you will wreck in the deep turns.. take it to a dealer . have them weigh you and set the bike up the right way to your weight.... stay safe my guy. and good luck.:cool:

· Registered
15 Posts
Give this a read

Awesome, this really helped my bike feel better as well. However the suspension still seems quite hard for me, as I'm only 120lbs. I don't know if I'd need to get the suspension done for my weight or something, cuz the preload is already on the lowest setting for me.

· Premium Member
'08 R1
314 Posts
Awesome, this really helped my bike feel better as well. However the suspension still seems quite hard for me, as I'm only 120lbs. I don't know if I'd need to get the suspension done for my weight or something, cuz the preload is already on the lowest setting for me.
Yeah, you need springs for your weight. Check out this site. Racetech.com

And here is a thread from 2013 that is a good read. Suspension: rider weight...How accurate?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts