Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. plan on hitting the strip for the first time on my 03 r1. i wanted to know if anyone knows of a good set up for the suspension. mine is completely stock. i plan on starpping the front. i would like to get any advice at all. seconds to warm the tire, rear shock notch, will racing gas cause any motor problems? just anything really. this friday so fill me in quick.

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
hey, i dragrace my 03 and when i'm on it the bottom is level with the ground and its 2 1/8" off the ground, i have it stapped in the front and as soft as it will go in back but, i also have it stretched 6" and a Mickey Thompson MCR2 tire on it with gearing 1 down 5 up in back for now so, i don't have much advise for your stock R1, all I ever see at stock one do is wheelie down the strip......I wouldn't think you'd need to heat the tire much at all, just spin it enough to get the debris off it etc.......I'd leave the line on your R1 about 4000 rpm's for starters but be gentle with the clutch, ease it out, or you'll be on your back lol!! GOOD LUCK tomorrow!!! let'me know how it runs!!!

·
The 02 R1 is very Rated `R`!
822 Posts
Hey Ksths2!

What 1/8 mile times are your running at Eddyville?

Also curious what your 60' times are?

I might have to make a trip down there this summer to meet up with you. I don't really like the 1/8 mile but haven't ran my R1 down there yet. Ran my R6 there last summer.

Just PM me or email me with some info on when you might be going to the track.

Thanks

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
Hey Rated, Well this last weekend was the opening test and tune there and my R1 flew! It blew my mind......no sh*t it ran 1.52 60ft, 4.12 330ft, and a 6.28 at 114.68 mph...... I was really loving that, it consistantly ran low 30's though....any way, its extended 7", slammed so low an ant will make my bike drag, and Dale Walker Holeshot PSIII shifter, and barnett spring conversion kit, and tons of gearing.....Sunday I ran in Cedar Falls Raceway and it ran the same times in the 1/8th and ran a 9.810 @ 138.36 in the 1/4 mile....I'm in love!, I'm hoping to make a gear ratio change for the 1/8th mile cuz when i cross the line at the end i'm at the bottom of 4th gear and need to be at the top......

·
822 Posts
Hey Ksths2!

You'll have to let me know when you are planning on running again!

I thought it was way to windy to make the voyage to Cedar Falls Sunday. Which track do you think is nicer (Eddy or Cedar)?

Post your time slips if you have a scanner!

I'll post mine from last year when my bike was just lowered with stock motor. I was lowering my time every other run. But stopped going to the strip at the end of May. No one wanted to go after the weather warmed up. I like running when its a little cool out.

Just let me know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
RATED_XXX said:
Hey Ksths2!

You'll have to let me know when you are planning on running again!

I thought it was way to windy to make the voyage to Cedar Falls Sunday. Which track do you think is nicer (Eddy or Cedar)?

Post your time slips if you have a scanner!

I'll post mine from last year when my bike was just lowered with stock motor. I was lowering my time every other run. But stopped going to the strip at the end of May. No one wanted to go after the weather warmed up. I like running when its a little cool out.

Just let me know.
How many launches have u had? Are you on stock clutch? What are your mods and what are you running?

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
I'm planning on going to cedar falls again this sunday the 25th for another test and tune and i'm hoping to have a different gear ratio to see if i can get my 1/8th mile times down even lower, the reason is is because Eddyville as you probally know is 1/8th mile and thats where I compete in the Probike class so the 1/8th mile is my main concern...but I'll be at Eddyville the 30th for the last test and tune then the 1st of May is my first points race. Hope to see you there!!!
I like Eddyville's track better because its so nice of a place and the "upkeep" is awesome there, I just wish it was 1/4 mile!!! ;) but Cedar Falls is getting better and better!!!
I'll try and get my timeslips scanned and posted for ya guys, and my mods are mainly stock everything, just 7" extended arm, Barnett Billet SR-3 spring conversion kit, 1 down in front 5 up in back (but changing for the weekend to see if it'll help) Graves slide stop kit, K&N filter, Hindle slip on exhaust, and a Mickey Thompson MCR2 tire with 12.5 lbs of air.....leaving the line at 5500rpms and riding out the STOCK clutch. I've got about 35 dragstrip passes on it and probally 30 on the street passes....the clutches feel fine and are beggin for more!! :0 Hopefully see ya soon, I'm the only one with a R1 there, black/Red flames and everything is polished

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ksths2 said:
I'm planning on going to cedar falls again this sunday the 25th for another test and tune and i'm hoping to have a different gear ratio to see if i can get my 1/8th mile times down even lower, the reason is is because Eddyville as you probally know is 1/8th mile and thats where I compete in the Probike class so the 1/8th mile is my main concern...but I'll be at Eddyville the 30th for the last test and tune then the 1st of May is my first points race. Hope to see you there!!!
I like Eddyville's track better because its so nice of a place and the "upkeep" is awesome there, I just wish it was 1/4 mile!!! ;) but Cedar Falls is getting better and better!!!
I'll try and get my timeslips scanned and posted for ya guys, and my mods are mainly stock everything, just 7" extended arm, Barnett Billet SR-3 spring conversion kit, 1 down in front 5 up in back (but changing for the weekend to see if it'll help) Graves slide stop kit, K&N filter, Hindle slip on exhaust, and a Mickey Thompson MCR2 tire with 12.5 lbs of air.....leaving the line at 5500rpms and riding out the STOCK clutch. I've got about 35 dragstrip passes on it and probally 30 on the street passes....the clutches feel fine and are beggin for more!! :0 Hopefully see ya soon, I'm the only one with a R1 there, black/Red flames and everything is polished
Stock clutch? All you did was change to the spring conversion? Is this your first drag bike or have you dragged others before? What is your experience with dragging bikes?

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
yes it is a stock R1 clutch, and yes the Barnett spring conversion is the only difference, i use 3 of the soft and 3 of the stiff springs...the best price I've seen on these are from www.tobefast.com....they will hook you up......
and yes i've race streetbikes for 2 years before this bike, I had a Honda 600 F4 w/ NOS, it was alot of fun and great learning experience....it ran 6.80's @ 102mph in the 1/8th and 10.78 @123mph in the 1/4......without nitrous, I had too much trouble getting it to not wheelie to make a full pass with 40hp NOS..so no "true times" to post.....maybe I can put the NOS to my R1......he he he......that sounds fun!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ksths2 said:
yes it is a stock R1 clutch, and yes the Barnett spring conversion is the only difference, i use 3 of the soft and 3 of the stiff springs...the best price I've seen on these are from www.tobefast.com....they will hook you up......
and yes i've race streetbikes for 2 years before this bike, I had a Honda 600 F4 w/ NOS, it was alot of fun and great learning experience....it ran 6.80's @ 102mph in the 1/8th and 10.78 @123mph in the 1/4......without nitrous, I had too much trouble getting it to not wheelie to make a full pass with 40hp NOS..so no "true times" to post.....maybe I can put the NOS to my R1......he he he......that sounds fun!
Did you go through a lot of clutches with your first drag bike?

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
yeah the first year i went threw them like fuel.....aka ALOT! but then i learned how to leave the line different ways and better gear ratios without fryin the clutches as bad.......then last year i think the whole race season i went threw only one then i put a new clutch in it just for selling purposes and then got rid of that bike cuz i wanted something bigger/better/faster!!!

·
822 Posts
Ksths2 said:
yeah the first year i went threw them like fuel.....aka ALOT! but then i learned how to leave the line different ways and better gear ratios without fryin the clutches as bad.......then last year i think the whole race season i went threw only one then i put a new clutch in it just for selling purposes and then got rid of that bike cuz i wanted something bigger/better/faster!!!
Hey Ksths2!

Did you get to Cedar Falls today April 25th. Just wondering what times you were running. Heres a pic of my slip from last year. Bike was mostly stock. Had a slip-on lowered rear and strapped front. My times were getting better every pass. But this was my last run and just never got back to the track last summer.

The weather looked to sketchy for me. I have to get my bike trailer for Ohio so that the weather does no affect me as much. Just hate to ride the bike all the way there and have it start raining.

Give me a PM with your phone #. I have to get my new Metz on this week and will probaby come down to Eddy if the weather is nice.

By the way! Can you tell me the tech rules for Eddy? I just added an MPS kill. So I am good there. But I have 6" extensions with stock plastic chain guard. Can I get away with this? I also have only a leather coat. It the market as we speak for leather pants. Unless you know someone that has leathers for sale?

Is the red haired chic still racing the GSXR 1000 down there. I can't remember her name. But raced with them at the begining of last year. I had a blue flame R6 at that time.

Just let me know.

·
822 Posts
Forgot my slip!

I'm the bike on the right side # 1513.

My buddies GSXR 1000 is on the left. He wasn't used to racing yet. Bike definately had more pony's than my R1. He had a yosh pipe and ems along with race cams.

His bike is totalled now. Squirlly wheelie = crash!!!!!

Attachments

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
not bad at all. are u stock wheelbase, just lowered.... 1 ran some 1.58 60's on my 2000 stock base lowered. times look good man. i ran my 04 last night in some shitty ass 40 mph wind. just wanted to stretch chain and do some 60's. bad freakin idea. i lined up in right side of lane and b4 i got to 60ft i was in left lane. needless to say the tire just spun crossing the middle of the track. trying to go to oklahoma for PMRA race next weekend. just got nitrous finished and shifter done as well. what a pain. im gonna post some pics later. had to fab my own lowering links cuz noone makes them yet. i lowered it 3 in back and 2 in front and have tie strapp. took of kickstand to shorten it up...damn it aluminum. had an old cut on off my 00 and used it.

·
822 Posts
1longR1 said:
not bad at all. are u stock wheelbase, just lowered.... 1 ran some 1.58 60's on my 2000 stock base lowered. times look good man. i ran my 04 last night in some shitty ass 40 mph wind. just wanted to stretch chain and do some 60's. bad freakin idea. i lined up in right side of lane and b4 i got to 60ft i was in left lane. needless to say the tire just spun crossing the middle of the track. trying to go to oklahoma for PMRA race next weekend. just got nitrous finished and shifter done as well. what a pain. im gonna post some pics later. had to fab my own lowering links cuz noone makes them yet. i lowered it 3 in back and 2 in front and have tie strapp. took of kickstand to shorten it up...damn it aluminum. had an old cut on off my 00 and used it.
I have the schnitz adjustable. Kinda of pricey new. Bought off of a forum member. I did the cut kickstand on my old R6. Damn thing looked like it was going to fall over when I raised her back up.

I think I can lower the rear even more if I get a longer threaded rod for my adjustable Speedlink.

Heres a pic!

Attachments

·
I Love My R1!!!
164 Posts
Hey Rated, I didn't make it to Cedar Falls cuz of the weather.....it was blowing like crazy and cold and raining all day. I did make a few passes at Eddyville Saturday though, what a waste that was, the track was cold and I acted like it was my first day, I couldn't do anything right for some reason......Anyhoo, since you gotta tether on your bike you are good to go, and any leather coat is good and you'll need some sort of gloves, but no worries about leather pants, if you run quicker than 6.99 you need them but even if you do they will just tell you to have for the next time is all.........And your stock chain guard is fine, As for the red haired chick on the GSXR, I think your talking about Cammie, she's from des moines, I don't know if she'll show up for Friday or not but she'll be there for Saturday's actual race i'm sure......I PM'd ya my phone number and such, HOPE TO SEE YOU FRIDAY!!!!!!

·
822 Posts
Ksths2 said:
Hey Rated, I didn't make it to Cedar Falls cuz of the weather.....it was blowing like crazy and cold and raining all day. I did make a few passes at Eddyville Saturday though, what a waste that was, the track was cold and I acted like it was my first day, I couldn't do anything right for some reason......Anyhoo, since you gotta tether on your bike you are good to go, and any leather coat is good and you'll need some sort of gloves, but no worries about leather pants, if you run quicker than 6.99 you need them but even if you do they will just tell you to have for the next time is all.........And your stock chain guard is fine, As for the red haired chick on the GSXR, I think your talking about Cammie, she's from des moines, I don't know if she'll show up for Friday or not but she'll be there for Saturday's actual race i'm sure......I PM'd ya my phone number and such, HOPE TO SEE YOU FRIDAY!!!!!!
Hey Ksths2! Pm me again. My mail box was full.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts