Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have set all my suspension to standard via the manual. My query is, I'm aware there are different setups for different weight riders and not one suits all. I'm 10st 7lbs, the bike does not have a damper. I only use the bike for fast road use and a lot of twistys. When I'm giving it some hard throttle I do tend to get steering wobble regardless how fast I'm going. Would this only be solved with a damper? My tires are all good and balanced bike has only covered 9k.

Would my only option to solve this be fitting a damper? Or could it be suspension setup issue? If so could anyone please recommend a set up on suspension. Would be very grateful for any help. Front tyre 34 psi rear tyre 36 psi.

Many thanks,
Dazza

·
An R1 kinda day!
253 Posts
In my humble opinion, a steering damper is a must on anything from a 600cc and up. The addition of one should/would solve your issues.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What do mean by a steering wobble? Are you getting some movement of the bars, or is it a full on tankslapper?

I'd expect your model could be OK without a steering damper, but there are so many variables.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do mean by a steering wobble? Are you getting some movement of the bars, or is it a full on tankslapper?

I'd expect your model could be OK without a steering damper, but there are so many variables.
Hi there,I'm.getting some movement on the bars,not a full on tank slap, but tbh is quite unnerving especially if I'm going at some speed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
An R1 kinda day!
253 Posts
Even with the damper on my '15 Raven I get a little, like when the front wheel goes light from acceleration. I would think it would be worse than what it is without one.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hi there,I'm.getting some movement on the bars,not a full on tank slap, but tbh is quite unnerving especially if I'm going at some speed.

Some bar movement is normal, depending on the bike. It could help to get the suspension checked and set up properly if there is someone local.

If you just want to try a different setup, I was going to suggest the Sport Rider website. However, looks like they are part of Cycle World now. Searching for sport rider suspension settings should find it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some bar movement is normal, depending on the bike. It could help to get the suspension checked and set up properly if there is someone local.

If you just want to try a different setup, I was going to suggest the Sport Rider website. However, looks like they are part of Cycle World now. Searching for sport rider suspension settings should find it.
Hi there again, have just been looking at the suspension settings as recommended on your post(thankyou) for that, forgive me if this is a silly question, but it suggests a setting for the fork height, is this set by turning the bolts on the top of each fork it suggests 3 lines to be showing bit just wanting to get confirmation before I go ahead and do this.
Many thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've found their settings to be a good starting point for my last 2 bikes. Unfortunately the intro to the table seems to have gone, but at least the numbers are there.

The setting that refers to lines showing is the preload. Fork tube height is how far the end of the tube is above the top triple clamp. Make sure both tubes are the same height.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts