Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone got any ideas, I'm about 88Kg and have tried lots of settings. Standard settings were way to soft. The bike was diving at the front and squatting at the rear. :eek:

My current settings are alot harder, stoping the diving and squating but compromise the bike when riding on B grade roads.

Pre-Load 4 Front, 8 Rear
Compresion 5 Front, 3 Rear
Re-Bound 5 Front, 5 Rear

Looking at lowering the front 6mm through the tripple clamps, But need to decied wich steering damper to buy.

:rolleyes:

The bike rides well on A grade roads, eating up tarmac in front of it. Amazing lean angles.................
Intoduce a tight B Grade road corner and you need to pull the bike in hope the bars dont slap under power, and do your best keeping it on line.

Why dose it go wide on the apex on this type of corner ???????????????

I feel as if I need to sof'n it up but can't due to squating ect...

Please help....

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Hi R1_Dave, and welcome to the forum. Its nice to have you here. :)
As far as the suspension settings, I know there were a couple other members asking similar questions in a different thread.
They guy who is really :rock at tweaking and fixing is out riding his bike, but will be more than glad to help you. :)
If you happen to have any pictures of your bike, we would love to see them. We usually stick 'em up in the members section so everyone can drool over them. :D

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Pics yet, but I'm working on that at the moment.

It's a standard 2001 Red R1, but how long it remains standard ??????

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Dave start here
Front preload - blue nut on top of fork; 6 lines showing
Front rebound - screw on top of fork; 5 clicks out from full in
Front compression - screw on back of bottom of fork leg; 5 clicks out from full in
Rear preload - the ramp type adjuster on top of rear spring; 4 up from th bottom
Rear rebound - screw adjustment on left bottom of rear shock; 7 clicks out from full in
Rear compression - screw adjustment on left top of rear shock; 9 clicks out from full in
Be gentle with the screw adjustments. This is a pretty soft set-up, but you have to start somewhere.
Go from there stiffen the preload and rear rebound and go from there

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the standard setup information. Do most of the members here have the standard rear shock or has it been replaced with something better. I remeber reading somewhere that the stnd. shock has a fualt with the compression. About half way through the stroke there is fade. :rolleyes:

Can anyone confirm this........:)

·
1,894 Posts
Mine is just fine but I also weigh 160lbs so for a bigger guy there very well could be a problem. i gave you standard settings because no one can tune a suspension over the net it needs to be done to your weight and riding style,I will be glad to set your bike up but it might be expensive to get you to Texas:D

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer Twisted but your right that could be a little costly, just a little................:)

I think I nearly there, just needs a little more time...:eek:

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nailed the set-up.

Pre-Load 5 Front, 8 Rear

Compresion: 4 Front, 3 Rear

Re-Bound: 4 Front, 6 Rear

She files over any type of road, eating up the tarmach in front of it. Turns fast, but stable under power. Opened it up for the first time today, this thing flipp'n flys............:D

I cant get over one turn where I was hard on the gas exiting in 2nd and the front left the road as I was still in a 45 deg. angle. Strieghting up to find the wheel was still going up under power. :crash

This thing is MAD......................:rock

·
im burning japanese
6 Posts
suspension settings

i"ve never had any probs with handling unless the surface is a bit rough,but a lot of the bike mags here suggest the best money you can spend on an R1 is to have you forks reworked to stop the problems you seem to be having as in standard form they are too soft.

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I intend on doing alot of things to my R1, but in time.
your right about the front end though. With a change in air gap, oil wieght and linier springs the front will be awsome.

The thing is though if this type of work is going to be carried out its also recomened to replace the rear shock at the same time.

No good fixing one end without the other, and all this cost a bit. So until then Im just trying to find the best settings on standard units.

Ive changed the settings for the last time.................I think ? At least until I can aford the Mods.

Pre-Load: 5 Front, 8 Rear
Compresion: 4 Front , 3 Rear
Re-bound: 5 Front, 6 Rear

The change in rebound at the front made all the differance on rough roads. Pegs are now touching round corners, with heaps of corner speed and confidance. Small shimmy of the bars of large bumps, but nothing that even comes close to unsetelling you.

These R1's are KING OF THE MOUNTANS............

:rock

·
1,894 Posts
Take the feeler balls off the bottom of the pegs, the last thing you need is for the peg to dig into the concrete(highside). Do you have a steering damper yet? Need one on the R1 the front end lightens up so much that it will give you that shimmy alot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts