Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I hope I've posted in the right place and get some responses asap as I'm beginning to think I've made one of those bad decisions. I came across a 99 r1 that I swapped my 2005 aprilia rs 125 just before I done my direct access before anyone says I shouldn't have got an r1 for a first bike I'm no idiot I know to stay within my limits but I thought the heck with it, go big or go home. So here I am the issue I'm having is today I took my bike out with a mate on his cbr 600rr and we were going quicker than what i would normally as he puts his bike to work although he neglected to mention this to me so it was a fast run from start to finish and when we stopped at lay by my bike started smoking (white) as it would if you got the garden hose on it when it was hot and coolant had leaked out onto the ground I'm positive it came from the overflow tube on the reservoir. The temp gauge read 98 whilst all this was going on so I waited for the bike to cool down started it up all fine and drove it back home nice and easy as It wasn't too far as it was towards the end of the run I then got home and took the fairings off checked to see if there was anywhere I could see where the leak came from other than the overflow and it was all in good order I checked all my coolant pipes jubilee clips etc. all were spot on. I took the radiator cap off and it was around 3/4 quarters full so I'd lost some out of the radiator and the white reservoir bottle at the side was completely empty so I filled that half way on the white bottle and filled the radiator fully ran the bike with the cap off to let the bubbles surface if any and it did so for around 45seconds to a minute put the cap back on let it get up to 96 97 then the fan kicked on so I cut the bike out and left it until it was cool I checked the radiator again and topped it up as it was still not all the way to the top so I added around another 10ml and that was it full I've since took it out a gentle run temp gauge reads slightly higher sitting at the lights or in traffic as per usual but when I'm moving again it drops back down to the 70s 80s I live in Scotland so the weather is colder here just now I haven't had any more leaks and I checked the reservoir after I ran it up to temp and the fan kicked on and that all stayed at the same line I'd filled it to I've yet to check it again after the run I just did but I'll check it again tomorrow. Will this have sorted my issue out if I don't get anymore leaks after I've made the engine work like I did today or will I be doing more damage I don't think it's overheating as the fan kicks on but I'm a newbie I'm in love with this bike and I really don't want to get rid so anyone that can help id be really grateful if I had to guess how much she had spat out of the overflow pipe I'd say around 250ml to 350ml but that is a guess. I'm just wanting to know has anyone had this issue if not a similar one happen with there 99 r1. Thanks in advance.
Rab

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,249 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
you might want to change out your radiator cap it sounds like. if it was keeping in pressure properly i don't think it would be boiling out that much at such a low temp

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if your issue is fixed but this mod can only help:

Replace your thermoswitch with a Wells SW518. Your fan will kick on at 88C(190F) instead of 104C(220F).

Mark
Hi Mark thanks for your post I've just had a look at that part mate and it's gone wich is my luck is there much diffrence to be gained from having this installed to my original? i take it that 104 is too hot as its went up to 107 before the fans kicked on before.
Cheers rab.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you might want to change out your radiator cap it sounds like. if it was keeping in pressure properly i don't think it would be boiling out that much at such a low temp
Hi that's spot on thanks andrew for posting I've had a look at that radiator cap and it does appear to look past its best so a new one of those will be getting orderd aswell thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts