Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the sweet spot rpm range and speed to wheelie my 2012 r1. Seems like the new r1's aren't good wheelie bikes what yal think

·
Pays for everything. EVERTHING
1,943 Posts
Enough clutch and you can wheelie a lawn mower... if you are having a hard time of it maybe you should stick to lawn mowers :p

Really this isn't a bike to screw around with. If that's a question you have to ask maybe take the time to learn the craft of riding then come back to wheelies.

·
1,943 Posts
if you're a track guy you probably arent a squid... so take my sarcasm in my last post with a grain of salt.

if you're talking power wheelie put it in A mode turn off all the traction control and to a quick blip of the throttle in second or third (cover your back brake) it'll come up and it'll do it fast.

as far as "smooth" I've found this bike to be very twitchy with the power and the clutch from the factory, an ECU flash from SBU made it a much better bike in every single way where power delivery is concerned... if you havent done it yet its the best ~90 bucks you'll ever spend.

as far as clutching it up treat that like you would any other bike just work your way up to your balance point and cover the back brake as you're learning.

good luck and welcome to the forum... just don't be a squid! :p

·
1,943 Posts
Lol yea know love lost. . Yea Iam go work on throttling it up in second. Thanks man
honestly I'd start in 3rd just to get a feel for it coming up, it'll take more speed and a pounce on the forks but it wont be as violent, the first few times you wanna feel it... of course you prolly know all this but as twitchy as the bike is on oem tuning i wouldn't wanna give it a flick in 2nd till you can predict what its doing.

better slow than sorry. (not trying to be dad, just lookin out for a fellow rider)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i was thinking about sbu flash. My local shop charge 300. So u like the ecu tunning they did for u. Wel 3rd gear it is for me.. Thanks for the help

·
Banned
325 Posts
I'm not an expert, I own an '03, and just started learning to do it myself. I listened carefully to guys in this video and realized that there is a safe way to learn how to do wheelies, and a way that is much less so.

Basically, I accelerate smoothly in 2nd or 3d gear until I hit 5 - 5.5k rpm, then flick the clutch with two fingers (so I can hold on), and give it a heavy hand of throttle. Cover the brake, but you probably won't need to use it at first unless you go straight up to the balance point.

If she won't come up at 5k, keep adding another 500 rpm until you find that sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
I watch people wheelie all the time and I have never wanted too. I assume when you are coming down from a 12 o'clock wheelie it must be hard on the fork. Do you guys who wheelie take any precaution on the forks?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I am the vanilla gorilla!
18,121 Posts
The seals typically start to leak due to dirt and debris in between the seals.

On a normal bike yes, on a bike that is getting slammed on the ground, they are prone to a lot more stress which equals premature failure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
Ridick_Bowen
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing