Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it, pushed it too far & paid the price.

I was pulling a nice, smooth 2nd gear wheelie around 80-85 with a lovely left hander approching. I've done it many times, nice wheelie, drop it down, lay it on it's side & away....not this time.

Seems I've miss judge it, as I've put the front down & hit the brakes the back end has lifted sharply so I've had to get off the brakes to lower it & then grabbed some more, same things happened & I'm running out of road quickly. At this point the bike's spat me off, I'm guessing at around 40-45, my foot has caught it somewhere & spun me round so I landed on my back comfortably sliding along giving me a little time to think about how many peaces my beloved bike is going to be in when this is over.

When I've stopped I've gone to get up & found that my knee's out of joint & the ankle's looking a bit messy, turns out I've bust it, but you've got to pick the bike up right? To my amazement it's fine not a mark on fairing or the tank, those crash bobbins are worth every penny, I've lost the seat plastics, a clip on, foot peg, mirror etc & I'm thinking I'm up BUT the swingarm has taken a big hit, the chain links have been pinched & bent & the rear sprocket has been bent at the impact point.

My question to the forum is this. Are there any kind of bobbin out there that can be attached through/to the rear wheel spindle I know you can get ones that bolt to the arm with a small screw but lets face it they wouldn't put up with much at all & would leave you with an unsightly broken bolt sticking of your swingarm, it requires a more robust solution similar to the frame sliders . At £900 (UK) I don't want replace it again if poss & I will be off again, just a fact of biking when pushing it.

hope you get the jist of my question

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
900 pounds for a swing arm! you should check ebay first bud or someone on here might have one. As for stopping that from happening again I doubt there is any way other than not crashing

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers......a month in plaster & alls forgiven...hopefully

Not falling off is the best option I guess but you know what things get like sometimes, get a bit cocky & push it too far, still live & learn.

I've tried Ebay (UK) & come up with nothing, breakers yards don't seem to have anything & after market stuff is twice the price....genuine yamaha seems the only option right now.

I was thinking of a bobbin just as a bit of insurance, the swinger on that side does seem a bit venerable....

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
they have spools that are also sliders.. but honestly delrin (slider material) in such thin amounts as it wouldbe for a spool, may snap or crack in a hard crash.. so it's not a gaurantee. your swingarm looks mostly cosmetic from here, i think it still works 100% in my opinion..

you can buy a perfectly good one on ebay for less than $200 USD.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I've seen 02-03 swing arms on ebay go for $150...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
He's right, check the for sale section on this board. Someone just started parting out an 02 the other day. Def. don't pay 900 pounds. I'll sell you mine for that!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanx 4 your help lads i'll keep on hunting cause 900nicker, yam price inc VAT, aint on.

The photo doesn't show just how bad it is i'll a post better shot......I can't live that level of damage, the bikes mine from new, it's coming up a year old & it's as clean as possible, seeing like that........it hurts man

I had a paddock stand spool, which didn't stand a chance, but it uses the same mounting point as these double up sliders...I'd bet they'ed snap off falling of the stand .... mine was a reasonable get off & those spools would have done s***

·
Just when you thought . . .
189 Posts
I used the Intuitive Swingarm sliders and mine snapped right off in a low side crash at the track. I keep 'em on; every little bit helps, but don't count on them saving much. FWIW, my swingarm looked like your picture and it was all cosmetic. I used a black magic marker and at a glance you can't tell it was ever scuffed. I understand yours may be worse than it looks, but . . .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A pic of the damage to the swinger....it's a bit messy...the black marker thing works well but this might be a bit much

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what I'm thinking about....bolting a frame slider to the arm through the spindle, a long bolt so you could tighten it at the other side. If your running a high level you'd put them both sides........A cheap way of avoiding the kind of damage I've done & way better than the spools/sliders available........your thoughts

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
You have my full sympathy, mate. Lost the front end of my '01 8 days after buying it brand new on a road i knew with my eyes closed.

Great idea, but i ain't no engineer, so don't know if there'd be any consequences to using a longer spindle. It might be worth contacting 'http://www.rg-racing.com'. They have frame sliders/fork sliders and those cotton reel sliders for the paddock stand mounting points. They might be able to advise on the viability of such a device.

BTW what frame/fairing sliders are you using? I'm impressed with 'no damage' to them

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to hear that dude......hope all's well with you both now

I'm not thinking of making a new spindle just using a long bolt or a peace of thread, you can buy long lengths of threaded steel from hardware shops......just bolt the slider to one end, place it through the spindle hole, cut to size & tighten at the other end or bolt a slider to the other end....no engineering involved.........i will check out RG racing

I have Harris racing bobbins on the bike & they held up V well indeed, the bolt bent but it didn't damage the thread on the engine mount so no harm done just got to replace the bob....well impressed....I was lucky, the bike appears to have fallen flat leaving the tank & fairing untouched, bar the S/arm damage is light.

I have a 99 with Harris bobs & the mountings are different to the 02 & the size of them ain't much cop either , not as good but it all helps.

·
Insanity Please
2,205 Posts
jonni boy said:
This is what I'm thinking about....bolting a frame slider to the arm through the spindle, a long bolt so you could tighten it at the other side. If your running a high level you'd put them both sides........A cheap way of avoiding the kind of damage I've done & way better than the spools/sliders available........your thoughts
JB, I've never a goos clear shot of your bike, is the rear hollow and accessable from both end. From what youn said, I gather it is, as I was wondering if it were, you could you use expanding off center style bolt/s to hold the slider/s in place. Save the hastle of trying to have thread there. You also wouldn't have to have it very tight and still be functional, without causing much radial load on the axle.

My 2 cents/2 p....

Cheers Warp

·
Registered
261 Posts
jonni boy said:
I have never seen it done, but I would think you would have clearance issues. If you put a frame slider on top of your spool it would stick out really far and when you leaned into a corner really hard it might start scrapping the ground. Just something to think about.:thumbup

1 - 18 of 18 Posts