Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i dont exactly ride supermoto track or anything. just thought you guys could help with my decision to get either the sxv 550 or hypermotard. i know they are totally different bikes i just want a change of pace and i cant decide which one to go with. im on an R1 right now, i commute to work everday on it, like 10 miles one way. and when i can i get out for some recreational riding, palomar or track days but they are few and far between, i mostly ride canyons. and most my recreational riding is done in the dunes on my cr500. i like the dirt bike position and look, thats why i like the aprilla but i dont know if commuting on this thing will be a pain due to all the service since its a motocross engine and not built for high miliage..just guessing though. the hypermoto is a sick bike, kinda pricy, but should be a blast for everyday commuting, i got to test ride one today actually and i really wanted to trade in the R1 on the spot, but i need to step back and think about it. any opinions would help. does anyone here commute on their supermoto bikes? the sxv 550 perhaps. anyone have the hypermotard? do you guys think ill be dissapointed with either of these bikes since its never going to replace the R1 since its in a whole different catagory...aahh im going insane over my decision HELP!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone in san deigo looking for an 05 R1 im in the mood to sell. gots a few goodies graves pipes, corbin seat, pazzo shorties, ss braided brake lines, tank grippers, sliders, 520 conversion -1 +2 gears.... asking whatever blue book is

·
I'm getting old
1,502 Posts
ok...does any one have either one of these bikes, i have some questions thanks in advance
I don't have either but the hypermotard seems to be the best choice for commuting and canyon riding. SXV is to highly strung for commuting. SXV would be better for agressive SM riding.

·
LIFE IS SHORT
12,690 Posts
the Aprilia is closer to a true MX based SM
this bike has short maint intervals

the Hyper is more of a streetbike with SM styling cues
the only negatives I can think of, small fuel capacity/range

what type of riding do you want to do & how often do you want to spin wrenches? between the two choices given for commutingI would go with the Hyper???

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
I commuted on a KTM SMC (actually a converted SXC). It was fun for awhile, but being blasted by 80-100mph winds got tiring fast on my commute. The steering was designed for more quick turning / dirt oriented style, so it wobbled above 80 and was disconcerting. SMCs do this too.

The Aprilia, not sure how stable it is at highway speed. So that is a consideration.

The Hyper is very stable. Perhaps too stable. Cycle World said it is a long wheel-based slow steering bike, but very stable. It is really a Ducati Multistrada touring bike with different bodywork.

The Ducati and Aprilia both have some pretty intensive service intervals - at least the Ducati use to. They claim less service now, although I didn't see any changes that would warrant the longer intervals. Not sure.

Really - the choice is tough.

Now, if you wait a little, and search a bit, have you considered these?

Attachments

·
Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
This bike looks menacing. Look at that awesome headlight on the Duke! NICE.

Here is a posting about the bikes, although its still a little early:
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=44282&highlight=690+smc

You should pose this question on that site, in the 'Street Tarders' section. I think few would say the Hypermotard is really a motard, but you get the bike that fits your needs, not the mold.

Derek

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
having just sold my sxv, I can tell you it is not a daily use bike.
It rips, but it is too finicky- tiny fuel and oil capacity, short maintenance intervals that require serious work, hard starting- it truly is a street legal race bike. if you are going to race it, it is the bike to get.

if you want any modicum of comfort and reliability on the street, get something else, like a hypermotard, ktm 690sm, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just bought a new Hypemotard S and it is an absolute blast. Only down side and I know this is going to sound funny, is that the S brakes are way too much. I'm thinking about picking up some non S brakes for it as they are really grabby. This bike stands on its' rear tire every chance it gets. I already put the Termignoni single exhaust on it and it sounds awesome. I'm 5-10 and I had to ut the cut down seat on it as it makes you feel like you are riding on the end of a pencil with the stock seat. LOVE IT, LOVE IT. Doesn't replace the 07 R1, but is worth the I need something new factor.

·
In 7, Eyes on 8, Pray for 9
156 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. After riding the R1 for close to a year, I wanted something "different". I ended up buying a Husqvarna SM610 back in August and used it for commuting, riding the canyons and putzing around the block. The bike was certainly fun, but I ended up selling just last week. It wasn't comfortable riding for more than 150 miles at a time. Between the Aprilia and Ducati, I would be more on the side of the Hypermotard for everyday riding and canyon carving. If I was doing the track only, I would take the 550.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
So has Aprilia made any headway in improving reliability of the SXV? Or is it just that the bike is too high-strung, with too little oil and cooling capacity to take on a 2-day, 600-700 mile, aggressive sport ride, where R1s, etc. will be present?

A friend of mine went on a ride with the Flora-Bama Riders in north Georgia, and a guy was going very fast on an SXV, but started having electrical problems. Also, this was not the only problem he was having with the bike.

(It was a first-year production unit.)

But my buddy said the bike squirted out of the corners like nothin' he'd ever seen!

·
Lake County Ass Terry
32 Posts
I've been doing a LOT of research on it and from what I gather the sxv is the baddest bike around to race but its in the shop more then you can ride. If you want street with power (you have an R1 lol) look at the Husky 610. Less power bullet proof motor = Drz. also check out www.supermotojunkie.com

·
`THATS GOLD`
61 Posts
Get a KTM 690 SMC. better road manners with the LC4 engine. Or if you want more performance but still with road manners look at a Husky 450/510. The Husky 610 is all road in my opinion.

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,223 Posts
the hypermotard is a blast to ride....more comfortable than my Drz, and more streetworthy. If i was in the market for a bike that you could take longer trips on than the normal motard and still carve the twisties. The hyper is hard to beat...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I almost got the SXV 550 but due it's fun/maintenance/reliabilty ratio was a bit too much for me. You best bet is the KTM 690 SMC. 90% of the fun 200% more reliable and service intervals of a regular high performance bike. The new Duke is much better looking but it has significantly lower fun factor due to added weight and tricky suspension, and obviously ya know that those bikes are all about.

G/L with your decision and post pics of your new beauty! :thumbup

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
I am starting to agree with you guys that the 690 SMC or SM is the way to go.

Buddy of mine let another friend ride one when we were at Shady Valley, NE Tennessee in April, and he said it was the most fun he's had on a motorcycle.

·
My Mac eats your PC
156 Posts
I ride an 05 R1 like you and I'm in the same situation. I stopped by a Duc shop 2 weeks ago and took a test ride on a Hyper standard. WOW! Felt a lot like my dirtbike. I felt right at home. I always feel very tentative riding the 1, cops, gravel, cagers...etc. It's a fun bike, but hard to enjoy unless I'm at a track day. The hyper set me free. Mega handling, mega torque, mega fun. No hassles. I'm planning a purchase next spring, but keeping the R1 for longer trips and, of course, picking up chicks!:crash

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats what ill have to do, just add the hyper to my collection. such a fun bike but not a replacement for the R1. probly wont be for a few years to talk my wife into adding another street bike to the garage on top of the 1 and my dirt bike. uuuunless i convince her that im buying it for her, she has been buggin me about getting her own bike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.