Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a minor service on my R1 today - adjusted clutch and EXUP cables, oiled chain, checked brakes, changed engine oil and filter etc.

When I turned the ignition on, the tachometer started to freak out. It "flicks" from 0 to 8500RPM every six seconds and won't stop. It reads the RPM correctly in between these intervals bu then jumps to 0 and then to 8500RPM before settling down again.

Anybody ever seen this before? I thought maybe it was some weird diagnostic code but I couldn't find anything in the manual about tachometer issues.

Help!

--D

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you adjusted the EXUP cables you may not have them adjusted properly. I have a FZ-1 and in the manual it states that there is a self-diagnosis circuits that checks the throttle position sensor, speed senor, exup system and the overturn switch. If any of those items are defective the tachometer will display the following code.
0 rpm for 3 sec. Circuit-specific number of rpm for 2.5 sec. and then engine speed for 3 sec.
3000rpm=throttle pos. Sensor
4000rpm=speed sensor
7000rpm=exup system
9000rpm=overturn switch
The R-1 may have different time and rpm intervals then my FZ-1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Proboly EXUP system - check.

Sorry for my bad englich....

There is 2 system the exup and trottle position sensor.

If it is the exup:
When the ignition is switched on the exup system perform its own self-diagnose,if a fault occurs the tachometer will be seen to display zero rpm for 3 seconds,then 7000 rpm for 2,5 seconds, then the actual engiene speed for 3 seconds, it will repeat the cycle until the engine is off.

if it is the trottle position sensor (mounted on the outside of the right side no 4 carburator):

When the ignition is switched on the throttle position sensor perform its own self-diagnosis.
the tachometer will be seen to zero rpm for 3 secons then 3000 rpm for 2,5 seconds then the acual engen speed for 3 seconds.

good luck from sweden.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all!

This is great information. Guess I should have read my manual a little closer. It looks like it might be a bad connection on the fuel level sensor so I will check this out next weekend and let you guys know.

Thanks again for the help!

--Damien

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.