Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

601 - 606 of 606 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's crazy! Has anyone figured a good solution to these starters?

Possible high temp epoxy along the edges on the magnets?

Or screw it and go semi loss system and use MotoGP style hand/roller starter! (Kidding ;))

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
Well it's 11 years old and 12k mi.....idk if they solved this issue since the part number was updated at some point...I suspect this next one will last plenty long...

·
Premium Member
12,256 Posts
Well it's 11 years old and 12k mi.....idk if they solved this issue since the part number was updated at some point...I suspect this next one will last plenty long...
It will last roughly as long as the first one did. I’m ok with that. The install isn’t bad at all.

Personally, it’s not a bad common issue to have with this gen.

·
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
Got the starter back in. WOW! The bike starts so fast now. Apparently this whole last year I probably needed to change it.

I also cleaned out the air filter.... look how much junk came out of it! I need to make that a yearly thing now... so much rubber and bugs in there.

Also since this is a part we rarely see.... the Graves stacks have held up really well. And are still all nice and clean.

Tomorrow I am going to try and knock out the forks.

·
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #606
I got the forks knocked out this weekend. Before I started the forks were looking a bit dirty. I got a set of seals with dust boots for like 3$ more than just seals.

Forgot to snap a pic of the oil but it was GROSS!

I also took the shock out so I can send it out to MRP. Looks like the seal was starting weep.

For now the old gal will hang out here till the shock gets back from a rebuild.

Got my fitting kit from Mithos today. I will snap some pictures later this week of the kit and relate my experience though out the process...

601 - 606 of 606 Posts