Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

601 - 620 of 642 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's crazy! Has anyone figured a good solution to these starters?

Possible high temp epoxy along the edges on the magnets?

Or screw it and go semi loss system and use MotoGP style hand/roller starter! (Kidding ;))

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 ·
Well it's 11 years old and 12k mi.....idk if they solved this issue since the part number was updated at some point...I suspect this next one will last plenty long...

·
Premium Member
12,376 Posts
Well it's 11 years old and 12k mi.....idk if they solved this issue since the part number was updated at some point...I suspect this next one will last plenty long...
It will last roughly as long as the first one did. I’m ok with that. The install isn’t bad at all.

Personally, it’s not a bad common issue to have with this gen.

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
Got the starter back in. WOW! The bike starts so fast now. Apparently this whole last year I probably needed to change it.

I also cleaned out the air filter.... look how much junk came out of it! I need to make that a yearly thing now... so much rubber and bugs in there.

Also since this is a part we rarely see.... the Graves stacks have held up really well. And are still all nice and clean.

Tomorrow I am going to try and knock out the forks.

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 ·
I got the forks knocked out this weekend. Before I started the forks were looking a bit dirty. I got a set of seals with dust boots for like 3$ more than just seals.

Forgot to snap a pic of the oil but it was GROSS!

I also took the shock out so I can send it out to MRP. Looks like the seal was starting weep.

For now the old gal will hang out here till the shock gets back from a rebuild.

Got my fitting kit from Mithos today. I will snap some pictures later this week of the kit and relate my experience though out the process...

Reactions: 1SpeedSteve

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 ·
Auto-blip enabled!

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 ·
I also signed off on the design of the suit this week.

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #610 ·
I just hope it fits well. They took like 35 measurements, and spent an hr with us doing it on zoom. The process was pretty thorough.

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
Yep. Right now the shock is at MRP for refresh, so I can't ride it yet. I will probably take it for a spin around the neighborhood just to make sure it is close before the first day of the season.

·
Premium Member
12,376 Posts
Yep. Right now the shock is at MRP for refresh, so I can't ride it yet. I will probably take it for a spin around the neighborhood just to make sure it is close before the first day of the season.
You’re going to have to get it up to speed. You can easily do it well within the first session at a track day.

Don’t be startled if you feel the throttle move a little during a blip. You’ll feel it if you don’t hold it close.

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
The shock came back today. Kenny had to do a bunch more work to it this time replacing a bushing and a few more seals and the bump stop.

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
Mmmmmm first weekend of the year. Feels good to ride this thing in anger again.

The blipper has taken a bit of getting used to...I keep trying to blip with my hand too... old habits die hard I guess...

Reactions: DarkHorse

·
Premium Member
12,376 Posts
Mmmmmm first weekend of the year. Feels good to ride this thing in anger again.

The blipper has taken a bit of getting used to...I keep trying to blip with my hand too... old habits die hard I guess...
Probably the best fueled tuned bike on this forum.

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·
Now if only the rider was as good....

Reactions: DarkHorse

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #619 ·
Ha!

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 ·
Had a good day today. Was able to knock the rust off and had fun. I used a new rear tire today, the Metzler TD slick. So far I am a fan, they wore really great, and at my pace never got greasy or had too like grip. They pretty much felt like a pirelli sc2 but with better wear.

P.S. @DarkHorse your trash talking rights are revoked until we do some laps on the same track at the same time :fact.

Reactions: stan1 and DarkHorse
601 - 620 of 642 Posts