Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

621 - 640 of 642 Posts

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #622 ·
Had a good weekend. Ended up dropping a second off my best time. I am now down to a 1:58 at Pitt! I know not that fast, but moving for me. And the Metzler TD slick did really great. The wear and grip were fantastic!

·
Venom X/O
25,256 Posts
Had a good weekend. Ended up dropping a second off my best time. I am now down to a 1:58 at Pitt! I know not that fast, but moving for me. And the Metzler TD slick did really great. The wear and grip were fantastic!
Glad you had a good time. Fast is relative, I think I’m fast at a track day and when I race I’m sloooowww

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #624 ·
Got home from a week away.... opened the trailer to pack for summit main tomorrow... found this.....

Lots of curse words later.... Doug this what looks to be a broken master link clip out of the tire stuck all the way though.....

Don't let anyone tell you, that you can't get a flat at the track.

I had last year's sc2 with one day left in it lying about... so I quickly spin that on and finish packing an hr later....ugh

The sad part is that the tire easily had 3-4 days left in it. Such a bummer!!!

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
Had a great day at summit main, I got down to a 1:22.1 which was a 0.7s improvement.

The cicadas were swarming on their 13 year cycle, it was so gross! Every session I took one to the visor, my gear is covered in them and there is bug guts all over the bike.

I also managed to order 2 more Metzler TD slicks for the rear, that should get me nearly though the season (so long as I don't get another puncture, knock on wood).

Patching that tire is a bad idea right?

Reactions: 1202067

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #627 ·
Yea..... just bummed that it had so much meat left in it....

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #629 ·
Yep!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Flat at the track sucks. A buddy of mine did like 3 laps and picked something up on track resulting in a flat (10 crashes that day). Brand new tire. I felt super bad for him. I always have a spare set of wheels with rubber ready just in case.

3-4 days, man, I wish I could take care of my tires like that. Good on you. Got a couple of tracks close and one is good to wreck a rear tire in a single day if we aren’t running sessions. With session I can squeeze out 2 days. The other track is a little more forgiving, 3 days is possible if I’m mindful of it.

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #631 ·
I will usually get 5-6 days out of the rear, but I usually flip it at least once.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ah yea, if I flip I can get another day or so. One of our tracks here is so rough on the right side there isn’t much left for left turns after flipping. Not all the tracks fault, I share some of the blame lol

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,307 Posts
if it were a road bike, i'd say a good solid mushroom style or glue string patch kit would be fine.

just as long as they're fresh inserts as the glue does degrade over time..

seen as its a track only bike, if you can afford a track only bike, replace and quit yer whining.. :D

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,307 Posts
I'll run a plug on the street. To the tire shop. To get the tire replaced.
you're living in fear over absolutely nothing at all.. been plugging tires for 14 bloody years..

the topic comes up year after year, and every post is pretty much the same, with zero
actual proof of any such thing as a blow up, etc. Tire technology has come a serious
long way with composites.

years ago we were in Colorado, while touring n' picked up a nail.. one of the top shops
in Denver was very clear it was mostly an old wife's tale and it was purely a city/ state
'push' to bring more $$ to local shops.. I had no need to doubt the clarification as they
were already slapping a new tire on for me. it was a complete waste of $$, considering
it was pretty much a straight line back west on the ride home.. As soon as i returned
i did my research, hasnt failed me once, not on my two bikes, not on dad's 1800, not
on my buddy's ZX14R.. Over a decade and several plugs later still counting.. Very
few shops will try to sell you a brand new tire over a stupid puncture, specially if you're
on brand new rubber as is.

literally the only thing we have seen after many a plug is on my Raider 240 wide, in a pinch b4 a ride we used a strip from dad's kit.. I could tell it looked a little dry but figured one weekend wouldn't hurt nothing.. As suspected it still developed a very small leak, so we pulled it out upon return and replaced with a brand new 'string' kit.. Mile after mile, after mile.. not a single issue..

IT sat over winter months and a couple weeks ago we took a good rip up to Whistler, on the same tire, with the same plug i put on last summer. As long as its not on the side edge you're perfectly fine, it takes 10 minutes to do a proper job with yer avg kit tools.

BTW, my Raider puts down 130ft.lbs of torque to the tire... a 2009 R1 cant even touch that..

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,028 Posts
you're living in fear over absolutely nothing at all.. been plugging tires for 14 bloody years..

the topic comes up year after year, and every post is pretty much the same, with zero
actual proof of any such thing as a blow up, etc. Tire technology has come a serious
long way with composites.

years ago we were in Colorado, while touring n' picked up a nail.. one of the top shops
in Denver was very clear it was mostly an old wife's tale and it was purely a city/ state
'push' to bring more $$ to local shops.. I had no need to doubt the clarification as they
were already slapping a new tire on for me. it was a complete waste of $$, considering
it was pretty much a straight line back west on the ride home.. As soon as i returned
i did my research, hasnt failed me once, not on my two bikes, not on dad's 1800, not
on my buddy's ZX14R..

literally the only thing we have seen after many a plug is on my Raider 240 wide, in a pinch b4 a ride we used a strip from dad's kit.. I could tell it looked a little dry but figured one weekend wouldn't hurt nothing.. As suspected it still developed a very small leak, so we pulled it out upon return and replaced with a brand new 'string' kit.. Mile after mile, after mile.. not a single issue..

IT sat over winter months and a couple weeks ago we took a good rip up to Whistler, on the same tire, with the same plug i put on last summer. As long as its not on the side edge you're perfectly fine, it takes 10 minutes to do a proper job with yer avg kit tools.

BTW, my Raider puts down 130ft.lbs of torque to the tire... a 2009 R1 cant even touch that..
You have your opinion, I have mine. They are different. No need to go further.

Edit: in this thread

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,307 Posts
little to do with opinions really.. it has been covered, dead horse walking.

considering there's plenty of (at length) reports proving the exact opposite.

unless you can actually post up pics / details showing a blown tire directly resulting from a plug... you're just repeating something you heard. thats kind of how facts work.. but of course its the internet, logic doesnt work here.

i went as far as tossing the Raider on the stand and rotating the rear tire several times to try and post a pic of the plug, there are no visual signs of where the 'leak' was in the 1st place.. it must be at least 3k miles since the 2nd plug was put in place. maybe when i get a new rear tire at end of season i'll grab a shot from the inside, i'm sure the original plug is still rolling around inside the tire.. we literally just forced it through, replaced with fresh 'self vulcanizing' string kit, cost 10 bucks with tools.

price to replace the rear 240mm wide low profile tire? 300 bucks cad.. its designed to last
a good 15k to 20k kms.. If your opinion is worth that much to you, keep on keeping on...
its not, to me. Fear doesnt motivate me. Facts do.

the only reason i even suggest replacing for a track bike is because when you're out there trying to beat your own time, you're relying on your own confidence to push the limits just a little further. Most mere mortals would be so damn afraid of some random post they saw online that its very likely they would be seconds off their lap time.. based on nothing at all.

I would generally just recommend they replace for the track, but use the 'punctured' tire with plug on the street.. not many people have a dedicated R1 for the track, with no street miles period.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,028 Posts
Like I said, no need to thread Jack here. I've got a thread going for this bud.

We can talk about this all day over there.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,307 Posts
Like I said, no need to thread Jack here. I've got a thread going for this bud.

We can talk about this all day over there.
{disclaimer: op n' I took the conversation offline, no feathers have been
ruffled in the making of this post.. ;) )

Thread jack? .. Tad's a good friend of mine, with thick skin.. we've known each other on the forum for over a decade now.. most people hold on to opinions as if they're the gospel.. Question was asked by the thread owner to begin with.. yer response as with others is very typical.. quicker to use the search button.. nothing's changed in over 15 years..

you probably havent noticed but some of us have a life-time membership to this forum, and have been around motorcycles since we were bloody kids.. father is a life long mechanic since he was 17 yrs old. grandfather was also a heavily experienced mechanic.. dad's plugged / patched hundreds if not thousands of car tires going back to the 70s, even he's learned a thing or two riding with us crazy sport bike riders.. i dont mind research.. not scared of trying new things.

if you posted 10 years ago " 'what is the single biggest improvement?' over the previous 15 years of 'sport bikes' and 'motorcycles' in general".. a good answer, and a popular one was always the same.. 'tire technology'.. period.. most manufacturers no longer use plain jane steel in tire carcass anymore.. my Avon's use kevlar / composites, etc.. so does Pirelli on their Formula 1 tires.. they're only just now (past 3 years) pushing the limits of said tire construction again.. but of course they use softer compounds as well. Tire pressure matters more than we think.

for what its worth, seen the title on the thread.. ZX14R (2014 my), picked up a fat nail / road debris as we were riding into town 5 hours away from home.. my best friend was pissed! it was a Sunday.. the only 'harley dealer' was a good hour or more away still. I simply said go top up air so we can sit back at lunch and afterward we'll go out and get a plug kit... not 1 hour after we fixed the tire he was pulling 300kph like nothing had happened.. (allegedly of course, in mexico). He rode that tire till it was balder than I am.. btw, i'm almost 50.. :D

if you're out in the middle of nowhere on a long weekend, with no bikeshop open and no stock available anyway, why the fvck would you 'fix' the tire only to ride it back to have a dealer toss it in the trash? makes zero sense. I could have easily ridden back from Colorado on the same tire way back when.. not a single worry.

·
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #640 ·
Got two new rear Metzler TD slicks from moto-garage. They shipped real quick, and they were very helpful. Would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Today I put a new rear on the bike and gave it a bath, it was covered in cicada guts....

Next week I do a weekend at ncbike.

621 - 640 of 642 Posts